Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ft. Hood

Lifeislarge

God bless Fort Hood tonight. Again!

Edited to add I guess it is another PTS(Have you noticed the big push to drop the D).

In this case things are not adding up. The guy only went to combat zone for 4 months in 2011 and reportedly saw no combat. Here is 3-4 years later claiming a self diagnosed brain injury and getting treated for PTS.

Not to mention he is an E4 after this long. Either he was a turd and never got promoted or he was a bigger turd that got busted.

I feel for the other victims but don't feel a thing for the shooter.

Edited by Sarge

Edited to add I guess it is another PTS(Have you noticed the big push to drop the D).

In this case things are not adding up. The guy only went to combat zone for 4 months in 2011 and reportedly saw no combat. Here is 3-4 years later claiming a self diagnosed brain injury and getting treated for PTS.

Not to mention he is an E4 after this long. Either he was a turd and never got promoted or he was a bigger turd that got busted.

EASY 1SG ----How do you really feel :) LOL

THIS WE'LL DEFEND

But I do feel sorry for the FAMILY of all the personnel involved. I pray all personnel make a full recovery ASAP

Edited by deerassassin22

EASY 1SG ----How do you really feel :) LOL

THIS WE'LL DEFEND

But I do feel sorry for the FAMILY of all the personnel involved. I pray all personnel make a full recovery ASAP

I know, I can't help it. I hope I don't offend anyone by being blunt. Another thing that bugs me is now they are starting to see that he was obviously unstable. I know how this works. The 1SG and Company CO were probably sending this guy everywhere trying to either get him treated or get him gone and the medical folks thought they could cure everything so he was just going to appointments and getting prescribed drugs. Been there, done that! Seen it too many times. So this really isn't much of a mystery. The guy had mental issues and was allowed to buy a gun just like everybody else. He got pissed off over something and started shooting people.

The real shockers are the guys like I had in Germany a long time ago who was as "normal" as you or me. He found out his wife was screwing around so he went to a party where she was and shot almost everybody at the party. Emptied a whole mag into her alone. Now that is what you call a surprise!

Yep 100% Correct.

Docs don't want to be responsible to say he's not crazy and s*** like this happens and they said he was fine

Docs also don't want to label someone crazy who is not

Docs don't want to label a crazy CRAZY

EXSUM: Glad I'm not a doc

Edited by deerassassin22

I wish the term PTSD would be banned. It is the first word that comes out whenever someone who talked to a recruiter once does something crazy. This guy was NOT a combat veteran. He drove a truck around for 4 months in a place where there was once combat. I work with a ton of people getting fat checks every month for PTSD related to the time they worked at the gym in Kuwait. This is getting rediculous. No moatter how many clarifications are printed people will still say oh no more victims of PTSD... every combat vet is on the verge of snapping. To date I don't think a crime like this or even close has been commited by someone who experienced real combat.

I wish the term PTSD would be banned. It is the first word that comes out whenever someone who talked to a recruiter once does something crazy. This guy was NOT a combat veteran. He drove a truck around for 4 months in a place where there was once combat. I work with a ton of people getting fat checks every month for PTSD related to the time they worked at the gym in Kuwait. This is getting rediculous. No moatter how many clarifications are printed people will still say oh no more victims of PTSD... every combat vet is on the verge of snapping. To date I don't think a crime like this or even close has been commited by someone who experienced real combat.

It does give those who really may be suffering a bad name.

22 vets are committing suicide a DAY. Not sure whatever term you want to have for it-suicide disorder?

I've worked with the system milkers too, drawing $2-3000 a month checks, and once they are at 100% DiS. their mortgages are paid too.

Evidently this Lopez was in the Puerto Rico NG for many years, recently had a second close family member die in less than a year, and was about to go to another funeral leave. His co-workers decided they'd give him an extra helping of crap about more bereavement pay, and time off for the family funeral. Pushed him over. Click-click-boom.

I think a lot of it comes from background, in earlier wars a much greater % of the people involved in actual combat came from rural backgrounds where the sight of blood and killing were commonplace - domestic farm animals - and now many come from urban areas where obviously a lot really believe that meat products are produced magically in the back of the grocery store.

It certainly doesn't seem as though it was as big a problem in WW1 and WW2 or Korea but seems like the problem escalated after Vietnam.

22 vets are committing suicide a DAY. Not sure whatever term you want to have for it-suicide disorder?

I've worked with the system milkers too, drawing $2-3000 a month checks, and once they are at 100% DiS. their mortgages are paid too.

Evidently this Lopez was in the Puerto Rico NG for many years, recently had a second close family member die in less than a year, and was about to go to another funeral leave. His co-workers decided they'd give him an extra helping of crap about more bereavement pay, and time off for the family funeral. Pushed him over. Click-click-boom.

My point is there is no connection to combat. He was NOT a combat vet! There are tons of suicides that have NOTHING to do with PTSD. I'm sick of people asking if I am gonna shoot the place up, and acting like I am a ticking time bomb because people are still running on the broken soldier lies from Dan Rather in the 70s. Do some research. And suicide is completely unrelated to this. This was a dirtbag who couldn't get a single promotion in like 12 years, drove a truck for awhile and couldn't handle being told no.

The stereotype started towards the end of Vietnam as part of the antiwar campaign. Find me the actual combat veteran who committed an act like this. You can't.

I was a 11b Drill Sergeant on Benning we had privates claiming PTSD and getting it. My point is get of the TITTY and man the f*#k up seriously PTSD from basic training.

Pretty sweet gig. Show up to Benning for a couple weeks and for the rest of their life they are victims and not responsible for their actions.

The problem is the VA and Medical community in the Military became really risk adverse to PTSD. In doing so they created a huge campaign and went out soliciting service members to get checked. Everybody knows what paves the road to hell and this one is no different. What happened is the opened a huge door for people to walk through with no effective way of telling if they really have PTSD, some preexisting condition or just general douchebaggery. I have seen a number of people that I think were screwed up before they joined and convinced themselves otherwise that it's PTSD. It usually goes " I was fine before I went Iraq, but then one day a mortar landed 2 miles away. It was so close I could here it while guarding the PX and it made me sad".

I've had a few soldiers that genuinely had PTSD. I know exactly what happened to cause it and it would be hard for any man to not have effects after what they've been through. Sadly one took his life almost exactly two years ago. The VA did nothing to help him because they overwhelmed their own system with so many that either are not high risk or don't genuinely have it. He even called them for help and all they did was throw pills down his throat. He called them back to tell them the pills were making it worse. They told him to keep taking them and scheduled a freaking phone conference. He shot himself before then.

I had another soldier that was a no shit coward. He was in the headquarters section, refused to go on patrols and was a worthless lazy POS. For some reason the company commander would not seperate him. Of course he filed for PTSD and never left the wire. He actually went to the white tent with my soldiers that had real issues, and stole their stories to try and get a diagnosis.

I do not think the majority of suicides are due to PTSD. Most of the ones I've seen center around women and money (usually both).

So this PRARNG cat appears to have been at the WTU on med hold. This is another failed system in the Army. As 1SG said the CO/1SG were probably trying to get rid of the fellow, but once they hit the WTU it's like pulling teeth to keep track of them. I was a commander for four years and had soldiers come and go from the WTU. They are impossible to work with and no good way of tracking soldiers once they are in. They do not send updates, they are difficult to get info from and make it very difficult to track the soldiers. They don't care what the chain of command's opinion is. I even had one dirt bag that had been reduced twice for some pretty serious offenses and was in the process of being seperated. He knew how to work the system and jumped out of a guard tower to break his leg landing him in a WTU and sheltered from the actions we initiated. The WTU forced us to remove the flag and drop all pending actions so they could promote him. It's just a giant circle jerk.

Bingo.

I think a lot of it comes from background, in earlier wars a much greater % of the people involved in actual combat came from rural backgrounds where the sight of blood and killing were commonplace - domestic farm animals - and now many come from urban areas where obviously a lot really believe that meat products are produced magically in the back of the grocery store.

It certainly doesn't seem as though it was as big a problem in WW1 and WW2 or Korea but seems like the problem escalated after Vietnam.

Well slaughtering a cow in a controlled environment has about nothing to do with combat. I see your point, but I disagree.

It was a problem back then too, however wasn't documented or treated (sadly it sort of turned into a stupid catch phrase with assclown such as this fort hood guy) as it is today, furthermore the average trigger puller in Vietnam or Afghanistan was or was in much more combat than in WW2 (not to say Normandy wasn't a sh!tstorm, it just wasn't a daily thing).

In 2009-2010 if you were in lovely places such as the Arghandab river valley, there was always something going on, everyday. Do that for a year and it gets old.

Needless to say, the ONLY reason we haven't lost more guys today is due to medical treatment MEDAVAC/CASEVAC procedures, training and equipment.

You loose a leg today, you are at lvl3 care and off to Germany then home in a matter of hours. In Vietnam if you lost a leg its a different story. Mind you WIA is around 30,000 in Afghanistan.

furthermore the average trigger puller in Vietnam or Afghanistan was or was in much more combat than in WW2 (not to say Normandy wasn't a sh!tstorm, it just wasn't a daily thing).

I think you may have not talked to many WWII vets in your day. I think there was plenty of combat in WWII. Not to mention the fact that when they left in 1942 they didn't come home until 1945 or so.

The history channel is your friend.

furthermore the average trigger puller in Vietnam or Afghanistan was or was in much more combat than in WW2 (not to say Normandy wasn't a sh!tstorm, it just wasn't a daily thing).

I think you may have not talked to many WWII vets in your day. I think there was plenty of combat in WWII. Not to mention the fact that when they left in 1942 they didn't come home until 1945 or so.

The history channel is your friend.

Really? Of course there was "plenty" of combat, I never said that.

I have had the honor and met many WW2 vets in my day. When I was in the 82nd Airborne I met several Paratroopers that jumped into Saint mere (gods among men in my opinion). Also both my Grandfathers one of which was a navigator on a B17.

Anyhow that's not the point.

"The average infantryman in the South Pacific during WWII saw about 40 days of combat in FOUR years. The average infantryman in Vietnam saw about 240 days of combat in ONE year"

80% to 90% of troops never saw in combat in WW2, However some units in ww2 suffered 250% loses, during those heavy looses it was during a short 3 week span.

Read the book "On killing" written by LTC Dave Grossman.

Between 1942 and 1945 they had places to unwind and relax. It was never a continual non stop OPTEMPO. They were never in a foxhole for 3 years.

A year to 15 months on a small outpost, come home and all you are doing is getting ready for the next trip to go back and do the same thing, the year spent "back home" NTC/JRTC, that's a month, Intensive training cycle, that's a month, small arms ranges, jumps, FTXs, various training events and schools... that's a few months eaten up.

When my brother was in Ranger Batt it was non stop for those dudes.

That will cause problems pair that with a much different fight, you would have to be ignorant to think that some guys wont get burned out and kill themselves or have booze problems, money problems. They are Awesome guys who really suffer. There are also many who don't say or do a damn thing. A lot of guys can go through pretty rough stuff and be fine. Some guys cant,

In no way shape or form am I condoning those actions but its hard to blame them. I think the word empathy is something that's hard to learn and not throwing everyone into the same group.

But I'm in 100% agreement with your earlier statement, that kid is a turd. and everyone and they're damn mother uses "ptsd" so loosely its sickening.

Conversely my argument is basis towards 0311, 11Bs and 18 series. Which is a very small number of guys anyways and before anyone says anything I have nothing but respect towards my support brethren, not starting that flame war.

but I digress.

I would much rather spend a year conducting counter insurgency operations in Iraq or Afghanistan than a day storming the beaches of Normandy or islands in the South Pacific. I can't imagine what those men went through.

Edited by Lee G

I would much rather spend a year conducting counter insurgency operations in Iraq or Afghanistan than a day storming the beaches of Normandy or islands in the South Pacific. I can't imagine what those men went through.

Yeah brother, no idea how they did it.

I'm not saying grunts in ww2 didn't do anything, that's reprehensible.

Its an issue (well was) of non stop operations.

Its like if a someone gets in a really bad car wreck, but if that same person got in 9 car wrecks within a 5 month timeframe, then

that individual would really have an issue.

That's why its so prevalent today. Just my opinion...

I would have like to have 3 weeks of bombings and artillery strikes leveling everything in a city before I stepped foot in it but the public and thus warfare has changed. Kids commit suicide because someone says they are ugly on facebook. The world is different today. We also switched sides in the middle of a war leading to a lot of questioning the value of anything done.

I do stand by my earlier point that a combat vet has yet to go postal contrary to public opinion. This was no different than when some dude shoots a bunch of people at the club because his shoes got stepped on. It's a sick society. Leave the term PTSD out of it.

I was a 19K rode a M1A1 in Desert Storm, but about 6 mos before we deployed to OIF II we were thrown a copy of FM 7-8 and told "we're not taking the tanks, figure this infantry shit out." One thing I've noticed is that the people I've met that are supposed PTSD cases are usually from support MOS's. Nothing against the combat support and combat service support guys, but I wonder if a lot of that goes back to training and attitude. For tankers, crunchies and the other combat arms fighting and killing is part of the job description, we spend most of out time discussing it and training for it, where as the support guys touch on it now and then. I think the combat MOSs are better mentally prepared, and the further away from those MOSs you are, the bigger shock it's going to be when the shooting starts.

One thing that all of these active shooter cases have in common is the shooter was on some sort of anti-depressant, anti-psychotic or some other form of happy pill. I think that's what we need to look at.