Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Dot and 125gr bullets

GTOGuy06

Thank you, but I have already considered that. That is a load for a jacketed bullet that has very different dimensions than a lead bullet and very different hardness.

For instance: according to hodgdon reloading site (Titegroup):

125gr HDY HAP
2.8-3.2

125gr SIE FMJ
4.1-4.4

125gr LCN
3.6-4.0

So as you see, the charge can vary between bullets.

I used a pound of blue dot once with 124 MG jhp tips. All I remember is I had to get it to the high 1100 fps range to make it semi clean, anything lower and I had unburnt powder everywhere. This was out of a G34 with a factory barrel, loaded to 1.15" oal. I would try to get my hands on some Red dot or even Unique if you could. Sorry for not answering your question but just letting you know of my experience with it.

I've never used BlueDot in 9mm but it works pretty well in .40 S&W. Its' a little too slow burning .. but if you keep it up towards the higher FPS range, it's not so dirty. Great accuracy though.

Hello: I was using some in my open 9mm with 115 grain JHP's. It does some funny stuff when it gets cold outside. I was getting some softer shooting loads when it was around freezing. I think you should be good around 6-6.5grains of Blue Dot. I would chrono to see what you get. I still have 5 lbs of it to burn up and may use it for my 40 loads or shotgun loads. It was accurate and only a little dirty. Thanks, Eric