Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commercial Loaders. Camdex or AmmoLoad?

Camdex or Ammoload? I hear good and bad about both with Camdex having an edge...we are looking to reload commercially to supply several ranges so we don't get stuck in the next panic...feedback appreciated...

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

I have no experience with an Ammoload, but Camdex I have some with. My opinion on the Camdex is this, they need to fire all their machinists and fine one who can actually turn shafts the same each time they make one. And the same goes for the other parts as well. My old sponsor had nothing but problems with his machines. They'd get new drive shafts, and then they'd need to take the whole thing to a local shop to get things machined to fit. In this day and age, that is unacceptable. As such, I'd be inclined to go Ammoload. Although at the time the Camdex seemed to offer more bang for the buck and better options.

So that would take a Class 6 FFL and ITAR (even though you don't ever expect to ever export outside of the US)?

I would send a PM to freakshow10mm and Doug Carden (Doug C).

I think both have been dowm that road already and IIRC, both are out of the business.

Nope, I am not that smart, but the bank is paid off....... :goof: I sold off a bunch of stuff, but had some stuff left and am still loading.......but when I want to.....LOL.

You couldn't give me anything from Camdex. The folks on the phone are nice people, but when they can't service what they sell within a calendar year, they can bite me.

Ammoload is making money now. They went up about 6 grand from shot show to a week after. When used equipment comes available I will buy Ammoloads.

Court, I hope that you have about 5,000 pounds of powder sitting around. If not I wouldn't spend any money on new equipment and wait for all the commercial loaders that may ( I hope and pray not....) go out of business this year with no powder available....... :ph34r:

DougC

• 5 months later...

So that would take a Class 6 FFL and ITAR (even though you don't ever expect to ever export outside of the US)?

I would send a PM to freakshow10mm and Doug Carden (Doug C).

I think both have been dowm that road already and IIRC, both are out of the business.

I'm still in business and have been since 2006. I am wholesale only now.

But yes, 06 FFL and ITAR registration.

As to the topic, yes Camdex is junk. If you want a used Camdex, call Precision Cartridge and all their Camdex machines are in storage. Ammo is loaded on AmmoLoad machines. They are much, much better made than Camdex. AmmoLoad's parent company is Howell Machine.

Camdex is a household name, but if I were to buy a commercial loading machine (let's face it, the 1050 is not what I would call "commercial grade") I would buy AmmoLoad over Camdex without thinking. Camdex makes better supporting machines than they do loading machines.

It is really big bucks ...

I emailed them and got the price list. That machine does not prime and load in one operation. They have one machine specifically for priming, then load on that one in the video you posted.

For both machines, over $200k

For the cost of these commercial reloaders, you could send a video of each to a design firm and have your own made, custom to your needs, for about the same or less total cost.

The last video has a very robust case holder. Notice that as the shell plate rotates, there's no case wiggle when it stops. The downside to these more complex machines is the cost for caliber change over. But, if you're buying a machine for a dedicated caliber....it's a non-issue.

I've loaded on quite a few machines from automated 1050's to Camdex and Ammoloads. Ammoloads are by far the best machines for the normal commercial reloader wanting to build an easy 4k rounds per hour. If someone is interested in a couple Camdex loaders let me know as I might know where a couple of older machines are at a decent price.

• 1 month later...

I never owned an Ammoload but did own a camdex and several 1050's. I've loaded on ammoloads and decided to get rid of my camdex and find a used ammoload. Don't shoot enough now to justify it though. The camdex machines are fine but seemed to require more maintenance than the ammoloads. The ammoloads seem to run smoother and I could run them at a higher speed than i ever could a camdex. Both are solid machines. I know plenty of people who load on both and aside from a little more maintenance with the camdex either would likely suit you fine if you were looking at loading 3800 - 4700 rounds per hour.

The guy in TX that had the camdex machines from my post above unfortunately sold them.

I never owned an Ammoload but did own a camdex and several 1050's. I've loaded on ammoloads and decided to get rid of my camdex and find a used ammoload. Don't shoot enough now to justify it though. The camdex machines are fine but seemed to require more maintenance than the ammoloads. The ammoloads seem to run smoother and I could run them at a higher speed than i ever could a camdex. Both are solid machines. I know plenty of people who load on both and aside from a little more maintenance with the camdex either would likely suit you fine if you were looking at loading 3800 - 4700 rounds per hour.

The guy in TX that had the camdex machines from my post above unfortunately sold them.

That's interesting. We researched and two years ago decided to go with Camdex machines. A year and a half later, they just arrived. While t the SHOT show I heard several people all complaining about Camdex's and then read the same,on here and thought maybe we had made a big mistake. After a trip to their plant we feel much better as in the past year they have expanded, bought their own CNC equipment to make parts in house, etc. The flood of folks getting into reloading was hurting their customer support. We also like all the safety ck systems on the Camdex. That blow up with the AmmoLoad last month also made us feel better....I imagine they are both just as good but the Camdex is more temperamental... Funny, I thought the Camdex did a higher volume then Ammo Load? I heard AmmoLoad jacked their prices through the roof after the Shot Show..Appreciate the feedback...C

Marine Corp

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question. How hard is it to find buyers for remanufactured ammunition wholesale? We have ranges to supply but was curious how hard it is to be competitive?

Marine Corp

I've never had a problem selling my remanufactured ammo, retail or wholesale. Starting this year (2014) I'm wholesale only and it's been wonderful. Competition varies really. Shelf space is at a premium and there are some good tricks to get on the shelf then expand from there.

• 1 month later...

Just reading old posts to warm up from our -25 F Wind Chill and got a chuckle out of the post from "FREAKSHOW", I have 18 Camdex Machines, and have been using them for over 28 years along with GREAT Customer Service from Tom & Bob. But for someone that does not who I am or anything about my company to state my machines are in storage is quite humorous & sad at the same time!

Dennis, the owner of Precision Cartridge, Inc

Just reading old posts to warm up from our -25 F Wind Chill and got a chuckle out of the post from "FREAKSHOW", I have 18 Camdex Machines, and have been using them for over 28 years along with GREAT Customer Service from Tom & Bob. But for someone that does not who I am or anything about my company to state my machines are in storage is quite humorous & sad at the same time!

Interesting, thanks for setting the record straight.

Yes I know who you are and know some things about your company.

The aforementioned info about your Camdex machines being in storage in favor of you using AmmoLoad machines came from Zack Wilson of MidSouth Munitions. He claimed you gave him a tour when he started his business a couple years ago and saw them in storage. My apologies for passing along bad information. I thought Zack was being truthful.

I have no idea who Zack Miller is nor do I ever remember anyone from MidSouth Munitions being in my shop, next time before you make any statements as you did you need to check with the person(s) you are talking about, slander is such a dirty word. By some of some old posts I read about you & your company from 10 years ago you were selling out & going out of business, it seems that it is old news and no need to carry this thread any longer. Good luck in any future endeavors.......................

Dennis