Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor with Red dot 147grn

Trimmy

I just came across some red dot and bullseye and bought 2lbs of each. I recently bought an M&P 9L and want to load some minor pf loads with xtreme plated 147grn bullets. Where should I start as I havent found anything listed for it. I can also get blue dot or unique but I think I'm going to go when they open and buy the other 2lbs of red dot if they still have it. From what I have read red dot is a better powder for minor 9mm

Edited by Trimmy

Would I be better of using 124grn plated bullets from Xtreme? I have been using 115grn for my fiances g17 but I would like the heavier bullets as I feel they shoot softer.

This is my same question. I want to shoot a 147 grain but Am having a little difficulty finding the right load. I am using my dads reloader and all he will let me use is red dot. From what I have been able to find red dot is a soft shooting powder so I hope this will work, when I find some powder.

Why the fascination w/Red Dot, and why didn't you take the blue dot?

Alliant doesn't list any 9mm loads with red dot, while blue dot is much slower, but load data is easy enough to find...

The only load data for Red Dot 9mm I've got is Sierra data...125gr FMJ(1.090"), 125gr JHP(1.075"), or 130gr FMJ(1.135") with a range of 3.2-4.6gr, velocity of 900-1100FPS.

I shot about 5000 Xtreme 115gr, 124gr, and SNS 125gr LRN with red dot. It worked.

My thoughts on red dot in 9mm:

Minuses:

Meters poorly

Dirty

Smoky

More primer flow than other powders I've used in 9mm at same velocity- high pressure?

Pluses:

Easy to ID in the powder system

cheap (promo is the same stuff)

small charges so it goes a long way

Neutral:

Sharp/fast, almost violent recoil impulse compared to other fast powders.

Red Dot Loads I used:

125gr SNS LRN

3.4gr at 1.135 OAL 75F 1053AV 45ES 21SD 1040LO 131.2PF

Had to use a 13lb recoil spring. It was not reliable with anything heavier.

ETA: I have been using WST since using up that 4# of red dot. I find it to be softer shooting (subjective), cleaner, and meters better. The odd stovepipes I was getting with red dot at the same PF also went away.

Edited by mgrs

I just picked some of this up as well. I figured it was the only pistol powder ive seen in a while, so Id give it a shot. Ive heard of people using it before but couldnt find much info. They had clay dot as well, maybe I shouldve grabbed that instead!

Here is a bit of load data.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19414423/alliant-reloading-manual

I just came across some red dot and bullseye and bought 2lbs of each. I recently bought an M&P 9L and want to load some minor pf loads with xtreme plated 147grn bullets. Where should I start as I havent found anything listed for it. I can also get blue dot or unique but I think I'm going to go when they open and buy the other 2lbs of red dot if they still have it. From what I have read red dot is a better powder for minor 9mm

The fascination is its the only thing I rarely see on shelfs other then bullseye which is even more rare.

Your first post mentioned availability of blue dot; only reason I was asking about it..