Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well here we go. Dillon Super 1050 problem

This may be an issue you all have addressed before, If so I am sorry. I have spent in excess of five hours trying to find what is causing my issue. Have called Dillon 6 times and each Tech Rep has a different answer. None have fixed the problem, but have received quite a few new parts that maybe I really do not need. I will send them back. They cost money, so thanks Dillon.

Ok, here is the deal. My machine is 6 years old. It has loaded about 10,000 rounds. 9 mm only. Have had a few glitches when new, but for the most part all has gone well since the machine become broke in and was used some. It does make a difference.

Last week I started a brand new issue. While trying to load and pulling down the handle the machine will stop dead almost all the way down but not enough to prime the brass. Its the index pin trying to push through the primer slide and it will not move all the way to the front of the track so it can seat a primer. I have taken all apart, polished the primer slide, the track it rides in, and all associated parts. It slide from to back with easy and has no issues. But when trying to run with the machine all together it again locks up with the same issue. I can back off the handle some and then with my hand quite freely move the actuating arm all the was forward and the machine will finish the down cycle. It just will not do it with the handle.

I have tried just about every remedy offered and still same problem. Dam, I am so frustrated. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Is the bracket clamped around the shield slide down so the bottom of the primer arm almost drags in the primer slide channel? If yes, see if the primer shield is straight or bent forward.

I had an issue that might just be related. The ram was stalling part way through the cycle, but it did then resume and complete the cycle, unlike your description. I pulled out the main shaft (11061) and the key (13475), cleaned & reassembled and have had no problems since. Might be worth a look.

Thanks for your input. This deal makes no sense to me. I activator arm does not quite tough the bottom, so it does not hit the machine going forward or back. What I just noticed is the following. The primer bar moved freely back and forth in the primer slide channel. But when it wis being moved by the machine the primer slide is going in but the primer set pin is coming up before the hole is over it. This causes a hard stop as this raises the primer slide up and presses it up and binds it. This has got to be something very simple. I am angry I cannot find it.

is your piece of plastic hose over the tit that the actuator arm runs on? If that little piece of plastic is not there I suppose it could keep the actuator from pushing the slide in by the wall thickness of the hose and the punch will hit the shuttle.

Hmmm. on second thought from memory Im think the plastic hose is behind the arm and would not add to the "push" on the shuttle.

I hope to load tonight. ill take a look and see what comes to mind. Occam's Razor.

Edited by pmclaine

So in essence the primer seating punch is "seating" to early and binding things up?

Pull the rocker assembly and check it as well as the little 1" long flat tappet deal that the tool head pin pushes on. The primer seating punch will also come out.

Is the pin in the tool head(the one that adjusts the primer seating depth) still in the correct location(depth) or has something happened to it to make it WAY longer than it used to be? While I doubt that pin could come out because there is a helicoil that it is in which should be also threaded into the tool head, I HAVE had another pin come out which dillon said "cant come out" uh, well, sorry, its in my hand, it came out.

I just finished reloading some .223 and was watching the primer shuttle operation. Do check that the plastic hose is over the tit that the actuator pushes on. This little "tit" is part of the primer shuttle. The plastic hose will go flat where the actuator arm pushes against it over time. I have rotated mine once or twice in 13,000 rounds and will have to change it soon. I suppose this plastic could also crack, deteriorate, and go missing on the machine. If missing it will prevent the actuator from pushing the shuttle all the way in to the shell plate area and I could see where the shuttle could end up the thickness of the hose short of where it is supposed to be - perhaps an 1/8th inch or some small amount.

All great ideas guys. I have checked and re-checked all parts that move or are attached to anything that is involved with the operation. I have mirror polishes the primer feed bar, smoothed and polished the channel that this bar rides in. Polished and smoothed the various primer seat pin, and related parts. All slides and moves like silk. Still when the machine is back together it still will bind up because it does not move the primer bar far enough forward to engage the locator rod pins, and thus the primer seating pin is pushed up way soon and bind up the machine by raising this primer plate up. I also have replaced with new the rubber hose that goes over the the pin at the back of the primer transfer bar. Made sure it was the correct width and not rubbing anywhere. my hair is turning grey... ok even more than before. Also, this issue started between loading without any trouble to the problem when I stopped and added brass and powder. When I restarted then the trouble came.

:wacko:

Did you grease the clevis pin that the primer arm pivots on? Also grease the cotter pin that goes through the two springs, as well as the long bolt that secures the ratchet to the toolhead where it goes through the S-shaped track in the primer arm assembly. Again, be sure the primer shield is not bent forward, and that the bolts that secure it to the frame are snug.

There is a vertical clearance notch in the back side of the base of the primer housing. When you pull the handle down, does the primer arm move into this notch? Again, did you check the primer shield ( black pipe) with a straight edge to see if it wasn't bent forward? Your didn't respond to this.

Does the primer rocker 13058 with the orientation hole.... facing forward?

Didnt think of this. If it was put in backwards I think the "front" is higher than the "rear"(or maybe its vice versa) and could cause the primer seating punch to "seat" to early.

I had a similar problem when the slot in the primer arm/cam assembly got knocked out of alignment with the cam guide bolt(14286). The misalignment caused the timing/travel of the primer shuttle to be "off" and get stopped by the primer punch.

Make sure the primer punch insert ( part that goes into the machine and is either a small or large orfice) is screwed all the way down, giving the primer slide a smooth surface. Mine worked itself loose, going up, and making a little ledge. I was having intermittent problems with the primer punch hitting the slide. Once I took it apart I found it. That has not happened to me before in over 15 years of using a 1050..... :goof:

Good luck!

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you figured out your issue.

I had a problem similar to what you are experiencing.

I was doing a primer tower change from small to larger primer.

And installed the primer tower backwards. Oops.

It's easy to do as there is nothing to index the primer tower.

Flipped the primer tower around 180 degrees and it works as it should.

Just another thing to check that wasn't mentioned already.

Guys, thanks to all who have offered their ideas. Not a better place to ask then right here. After more hours of time spent then I would ever have guessed, I have sent this back to Dillon. Guess now we see how good they are.

Thanks Again