Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 shadow custom - light strikes

katit

This is primers I have. I did chrono 3 different loads and those primers very consistent!! If they fired every time.

Hammer slipped 1/2 way, murphy law I guess. Light hit and it fired. Out of all of those light strikes almost none fires on a second/third try.

Also, non mulfunctioned when I was running them through chrono. Maybe when I make those small batches for chrono I run press slower and do better job seating primers? I need to think about this..

post-48279-0-32636200-1396838297_thumb.j

post-48279-0-35471400-1396838306_thumb.j

post-48279-0-78709300-1396838322_thumb.j

Edited by katit

the packaging certainly looks very much of the same family and the address is the murom company...

it's either a QC thing OR perhaps it is still a seating problem.

I seat mine deep. like basically a very light tool mark on them. any deeper and I'd be crushing them. luckily the press I have has a primer seat depth adjustment so I can dial it right on that edge.

I was shocked even that handful went off with a 8.5lb mainspring.

yeah talk about bad luck! slipped hammer (so probably not a full strength hit) and primer goes off... d'oh!

I double chcked btw. my CGW firing pin did come with the silver colour spring on it. the spare reduced power FP spring I bought (also from CGW) was black. I don't think there is any difference.

as I test I installed the follow into my shadow mate/orange 2012.

8.5lb hammer spring

CGW extended FP with the reduced power (silver) FP spring.

Otherwise the gun is standard. I haven not polished the action etc. Does have a comp hammer which comes from the factory.

I've only done a basic function test with 2 full mags of a mix of federal SPP and Murom SPP (I had heard these are the same as wolf/tula but I'm not sure).

All rounds fired just fine. Second mag I shot as fast as I could pull the trigger and no problems. Yes it's a small sample size, but I'll try more as I go. first sign is encouraging as 8.5lb is a very light mainspring. the hammer hitting the firing pin sounds like a little 'flap' noise now!

Perhaps the murom are similar to wolf/tula but with better quality control? I've not had a dud in those in about 3,000 or so now.

these are what they look like:

1010419.jpg

So with the CGW pin etc installed does that bump you out of PD class in IPSC ?

yeah talk about bad luck! slipped hammer (so probably not a full strength hit) and primer goes off... d'oh!

I double chcked btw. my CGW firing pin did come with the silver colour spring on it. the spare reduced power FP spring I bought (also from CGW) was black. I don't think there is any difference.

8.5lb hammer spring

Otherwise the gun is standard. I haven not polished the action etc. Does have a comp hammer which comes from the factory.

I've only done a basic function test with 2 full mags of a mix of federal SPP and Murom SPP (I had heard these are the same as wolf/tula but I'm not sure).

All rounds fired just fine. Second mag I shot as fast as I could pull the trigger and no problems. Yes it's a small sample size, but I'll try more as I go. first sign is encouraging as 8.5lb is a very light mainspring. the hammer hitting the firing pin sounds like a little 'flap' noise now!

Perhaps the murom are similar to wolf/tula but with better quality control? I've not had a dud in those in about 3,000 or so now.

Hi Dave O... Did you want to ask a real question or just trying to be clever?

As you no doubt already know, In IPSC production division a CGW firing pin is not legal.

In practice at my club I can use whatever pin is suitable for the primers I'm using. I also have a CZ UB extended pin and a couple of CZ UB standard pins which I use in matches with my federal primers. In fact in matches I use the standard length pin as there is no need for the extended pin with federal primers. I keep it as a spare.

With harder primers in practice I might use the CGW pin, or I might not.

This information was posted as it's helpful to most of the members here who shoot USPSA.

Edited by BeerBaron

8.5lb hammer spring

Hi Dave O... Did you want to ask a real question or just trying to be clever?

As you no doubt already know, In IPSC production division a CGW firing pin is not legal.

In practice at my club I can use whatever pin is suitable for the primers I'm using. I also have a CZ UB extended pin and a couple of CZ UB standard pins which I use in matches with my federal primers. In fact in matches I use the standard length pin as there is no need for the extended pin with federal primers. I keep it as a spare.

With harder primers in practice I might use the CGW pin, or I might not.

This information was posted as it's helpful to most of the members here who shoot USPSA.

No Rich I was just furthering my knowledge on the CZ product and picked up on this thread ... Plus others which may help my Long Slide project . And as this forum has been very helpfull in the past with my Glock(s) set up I thought I would get my post count up ;-) .

See you at range in a couple of weeks ..

I use a CGW 11.5# mainspring, CGW extended FP in my Shadow and have never had a light strike with a Tula spp yet. Nor Winchester, Federal, Magtech or Tula srp. The only misfires I've had were due to the gouge in my LnL where the primer punch has cratered my press frame and my primers were not seated low enough. A second trigger pull and away they go...

Tempted to try an 8.5# spring just for fun, my SA trigger pull is under 3# with the 11.5# spring right now, I wonder what it would be with the 8.5#er?

... and I went home with DQ. Hammer slipped when I was lowering it. Got too "confident" with this thing. Need to be really careful next time.

Happened to me once in practice - in my case some extra lube from slide channel was thrown back to hammer, or I got some on my fingers, the slip was lube induced. So I make sure that area around hammer wiped dry before match, and wipe the back part off occasionally if I see anything extra at any point during match between turns.