WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Cabela's yesterday. Tons of powder. Prices still a little high. Noticed 700x at $19.95, right next to it was 800X for $25.95.

Wondering why the difference when I noticed that the 700X was 14oz and the 800X was 16oz.

So, you see a good price, check the weight.

They appear to be using the 'Candy bar' pricing strategy. i.e. price stays the same, but product size is smaller.

Jimko, I think that has more to do with the standard size jug they use. Different volume of powder fits in the same container. Ramshot competition and trail boss for example are below 16oz a canister because of how fluffy it is.

I learned of a place called Bruno's Shooting Supply near where I work that will probably be my go-to for powder for the foreseeable future.

I've been in there before. Powder is way overpriced. Good price on CCI SPP though $26.95.

I can't believe anyone uses them, unless their in-store prices at 50% less.

8# of Win 748 for $200.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/powder_winchester.html

Their powder and price prices were even worse when powder was more scarce.

They're on my 'never buy from' list; YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought 3 one pounders of HS-6 at Cabela's in Sidney, Nebraska last week. Cleaned them out but they also had Titegroup and WAC on the shelf, as well as a few shotgun and rifle powders including Varget.

I'll never buy a gun from them (holy smokes the price gouging!) but their powder prices were good.

• 1 month later...

I think that we (pistol shooters) should keep in mind that many of the popular fast powders that are in short supply are also coveted by another group. The other group being shotgun shooters. This makes more shooters hungering for these double use powders than there are for some rifle powders or slower pistol powders, for instance.

Cabela's in Phoenix has full shelves. Picked up HS6 and WAC. The only small rifle primers they had were S&B. Good prices.

Same old Cabela's story on everything else though. Ten cents per round or more for 22lr and used guns at new prices. Prices on new guns are just stupid there.

Went to the opening of Cabela's, League City, TX, yesterday and was very disappointed in the powder selection. Three short shelves behind the gun counter, with a small fraction of the known powders. Sales go all week on many items throughout the store, just none on what I need.

I STILL can't find anything locally except for 700X here in southern NY. Doesn't meter all that great, but works decently for 9mm and 38 range loads. What I wouldn't give for a pound or two of W231 or bullseye :(

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Seems some of the long sought after powders are popping up more often than not, Hodgdon/Winchester; VihtaVouri, etc.

Hope this is a sign of good times to come :)

fwiw:

Got me some HP-38/W231!

Been several years since I've been able to pick up some HP-38/W231 to replace the last 8# I hooked up a buddy of mine getting into reloading: Today was a good day

FWIW WHERE? That is what everyone would enjoy hearing about.

FWIW WHERE? That is what everyone would enjoy hearing about.

Dont know where that location is but...If your looking for HP-38 then Natchez has the 1# cans in stock as of this morning.

+1 Natchez, limit 10x 1#(s) . . . . Sorry, just saw these posts.

Powder Valley had N320 4# in stock a few days ago, but showing out of stock as of 03/24/2016 @ 1527 CST. PV has 1# in stock at this time.

Edited by SPDGG

• 3 weeks later...

For the ppl shooting minor. I have TG and clay dot. I will be loading up some 147's next week. What do you prefer?

Or should i get some 320?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Edited by Open1215