Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I mount a 550 on my new bench

I've checked all throughout the forums and called Dillon directly and I still don't have a solid answer to my questions.

I am building a new sturdy work bench, 30"x8', out of 2x6 for the frames. I had planned on the top being flush with the 2x6 frame, but I am wondering if the mounting holes of the Dillon (with strong mount) would be directly over the 2x6 frame for proper use.

Questions:

1. Can the 550 be mounted back from the edge of the top 2"-3"?

2. Will mounting the 550 back 2"-3" from the edge cause problems with the standard handle? the roller handle?

3. Should I extend the top 1"-1 1/2" past the 2x6 frame and mount the front 2 holes of the strong mount in front of the 2x6 frame?

I appreciate all the info that you guys can give me.

D

Lynn Jones, thanks

I've looked all over those pics and the 1911 forums as well. I got many of my ideas for this new bench from those sites. The main concern I had was some people were talking about having to notch the tops of their benches to get the proper function. But if I can mount 2"-3" from front edge without any problems then I am good to go.

Thanks,

D

Sader72:

You can go back about 3 1/4" before the handle will hit the edge of the bench on the downstroke. That's 3 1/4 " from the edge of the bench to the centerline of the bolthole on the strong mount. I would stay at 2 3/4 - 3" max to be safe. If you have trouble with that distance put a 1/2 spacer board under the strong mount and it will give you more clearance if you can take the height increase.

Tom

Should be fine. Mines about 2.5" from the edge with NO interference.

Ditto for me. I just mounted my new 550 w/strong mount on a bench I just built. I have it set back from the edge 2-1/2 inches without any issues. Plenty of clearance when cycling with the roller handle.

Not sure if the 30" you're referred to was height or depth? I built my bench 35" high (same as standard kitchen counter). I find it a more comfortable height to work with while standing or sitting on a bar stool.

2x6s might be overkill. I just built a 35"x72" bench out of 2x4s. I bought a laminated kitchen counter top at home depot for $50. It's real solid (me and two of my other 200+ lb friends where jumping on it to settle a bet). I just doubled up on the legs and put a 3/4 board under the counter top. Lag screws and bolts throughout.

I was refering to the depth of the counter top, I've placed the height of the bench at 40". This works out so that the handle of the 550 should be even with my shoulder, per BE's recomendations.

Yep, the 2x6's are probably overkill, but I wanted to get it done solid the first time and not have to worry about the bench not being stable. Needless to say it's solid, lol.

I'll put pics up when I get it finished, all I'm lacking are the cabinet doors, stain, and trim work (yah, I know, but it's inside the house and it will stay if we sell...).

Thanks to all for your help.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished my reloading bench. I built it with 2x6 for the frams, 3/4 mdf top, and 1/4 luan for the sides and top. I stained and finished with polycrylic (satin) to make it look good and keep lead from getting into the wood top. The two Lee presses are mounted for my accurate rifle reloading work. The middle is saved to mount my 550 when it gets in from BE. Thanks to all who gave the advice.

D

photo001.jpg

photo002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm new to this reloading thing. Bought a 650 with everything except the caseloader... (that's next) :D . Set up for 45 ACP... I've made up 500 rounds and am now wanting to organize my bench area.

I plan to load 9x19, 45ACP and 40 S&W in the next year or so, so I want to set it up with that in mind. My question is what kind of storage do folks prefer (akro-bins, shelves, drawers, cabinets, pegboard, etc) and why ("lessons learned").

My bench area is a u-shaped shop bench that I have set aside one leg of the "U" for reloading; the reloading leg is about 4' wide with knee area underneath and no real opportunity for underneath storage (my air compressor rolls in there). As a result everything will have to go above the benchtop and/or on the wall behind the loader. Bench is 36" tall.

I'll post a picture if it would help (I'll have to figure out how that's done).

Thanks!

Smiley

• 1 month later...