Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 spx mag tube issue.

It seemed like such a simple thing. I have a 930 SPX that is a seven round gun, and I decided that because my loaders contain 8 rounds that I wanted to add one round to the magazine capacity.

Seems simple so far right? So I call up favorite vendor and I order a Choate plus three [8 round] magazine extention. My theory was that the Choate tube that came on the gun was a plus two so if I want one more round I need to order a plus 3.

Apparently I was very mistaken because when the plus 3 arrived it was only about three quarters of an inch longer than my factory plus two. I tried it anyway and still shockingly enough only 7 rounds in a gun. I tried every combination of spring, follower [stock, Nordic and Choate], and even with no spring and no follower, I couldn't get round # 8 in. As a side note, I am just using Plain Federal Bulk pack 2-3/4" shot shells to test with. I tried with some home made Remmington hulled Dummy rounds - Same problem.

So, I called up favorite Vendor and order a +4, deciding that even though the plus the +4 sticks out a little bit past my choke tube I figured it was okay. The mighty plus 4 arrives and I dry load it with no spring and sure enough all 8 rounds barely fit even though it is marked as a 9 round tube.

So then I put in the original stock spring and follower and sure enough all 8 rounds fit but the spring tension on number 8 was so weak that it wouldn't jump into the lifter so I tried the spring that came with it. It was so heavy that the 8th round wouldn't even go in. Remember now this is marketed as a 9 round, +4 tube. so being the enterprising young soul that I am I start cutting coils off of the spring per the directions. Snip 1 coil, re-assemble, test, no-go, rinse lather repeat. Eventually, I got to where I could get all 8 in, but they were so tight against the shell catch they wouldn't load. Snip, test, snip, test, when I got to the point that the first shell would load, I stopped cutting, but by then, I was back to the last shell not having enough oomph to come out.

So I grab my spare Nordic spring and repeat the process with identical results, no sweet spot between "doesn't work" and "doesn't work"

I figured out that Tapatalk was being terribly unkind to me on this post, but I think I have it edited into readable form.

So long story [even longer] I have ruined two magazine tube Springs trying to find the proper number of coils, one coil at a time. I seem to have my choice between so tight it will not release the first shell or not even allow the 8th shell to load or not strong enough to push the last shell out.

All I wanted was one measley extra round...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

You could have just ordered a XXL mag cap and fit your extra rnd that way. That's how in put 10 in my JP Pro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I believe the SPX uses a Choate extension while the JM is a Nordic - different threads/won't work.

@OP - different shells are different lengths, so you may be 'short' a shell with some brands of shot shells. Short of going 'extra long,' not much to be done there.

Different springs (tension, materials) may have different cut lengths, but the range is ~12"-20" beyond the extension, usually ~16" for most. You might try buying a new Nordic spring and start there.

Maybe I should have gone with nordic, but every other Choate tube I have installed has gone flawless, so I expected this one to be the same, especially since it came with a Choate from the factory.

As far as the shell length, I am using federal bulk pack, and my intention is to make the gun work with that rather than chase around 27 different types of ammo hoping to find one that works.

The moral of the story is the factory+2 is only 3/4 inch shorter than the retail +3, and the Retail +4 is only a +3 with the correct spring, and wouldn't actually fit 4 even without a spring.

I have a headache.

So, am I the only one to have this problem? I have tried 2 different weights of spring now, the heavier variety that came with the kit and the seemingly lighter one that came from Nordic. Any suggestions?

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Ok, now I have Ruined 4 [yes, FOUR] mag springs trying to get this blasted thing to work, and I still don't have an 8 round tube.

Lessons learned so far:

Always have spare mag tube springs, and have them already fit to your gun and tube combo. I don't think trying to do this job between stages to fix a malfunctioning gun would be any fun at all. I always just carried a full 45 coil spare, uncut, in my spares kit, but no more. Once I get a spring to work 100%, I am going to immediately duplicate or triplicate my work.

Midway's customer service is outstanding, even when I am the retarded one. The jury is still out on Choate...

Girlfriends are not fans of single coils of shotgun springs stuck in the carpet.