Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Index Pawl wear

After loading about 3,000 rounds, during an inspection of my XL650 I have noticed considerable wear on the Index Pawl (Dillon part number 13667). This has happened with two Index Pawls in a row (the first was replaced after about 2,000 rounds.

Has anyone else noticed this wear (see photos below)? I replaced the part, and in both cases I could swear that the operation is a little smoother, but I couldn't swear that is an accurate observation.

IndexPawl2_zps78e7453a.jpg

IndexPawl1_zps0837af36.jpg

Any suggestions as to the cause and cure would be most welcome!

Chris

I wouldn't worry about that. That is the point of the pawl that rubs against the bottom edge of the shellplate opposite the spot where the tall section sits to move the shellplate. You can see the curve of the hole in the wear pattern.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

It's a wear item. If it were harder material it would likely cause the shell plate to wear which is much more expensive to replace.

Good answer, after some reflection that's the conclusion I came to. I'll just plan to replace it when I notice any wear.

Thanks!

Chris

This part shown is barely beginning to wear in. It has lots more life in it. The wear shown should have no effect on indexing at all.

OK! I had no idea what was normal, so that's a big help. I appreciate the response.

Chris

• 5 years later...

I have loaded thousands of rounds on my 650 and it still works fine- have replaced several parts (supplied by Dillon) but not the index pawl. Do not think pawl wear is of concern. Would expect other parts to "wear out" before the pawl, like the ring indexer. I have replaced several of these. It is a job.