Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 pins walking out.

rowdyb

So I am on my second set of pins in my gen 3, g34. The stock locking block pin (the upper, smaller of the two) was walking out frequently so I changed to aftermarket pins. The same pin is walking out again now.

The gun has probably 20 thousand rounds through it in the past year.

Should I be thinking that the frame is "worn out" and that's why this pin won't stay in now?

On the stock locking block, stock slide stop lever, stock trigger. Aftermarket springs and other SSP/production mods all around.

Have you tried putting the pin in the frame with the locking block out, to see if there's a difference in looseness or tightness between the two? Also put the pin through just the locking block to check the same thing. Not so sure this would be the problem but it might help eliminate things.

I would order and install a new locking block, OE pins and probably a new slide stop. I am doubtful worn out polymer would allow the pins to walk. I think the locking block should be the ticket.

If it continued to have the pin walk out, I would return the gun to stock configuration and send it to Glock and see what they will do.

I suppose you could get creative with some type of adhesive but I have only used adhesives on the slide (specifically on sights).

I don't have my 34 in front of me but I'm thinking the spring legs resting in the grooves on the pins are what keep them in place not simple friction in the block or frame. Same as an AR hammer spring.

Or I'm just wrong.

Nuke is correct. I had the same issue on my Gen-4 when new. The upper pin would start to work it's way out after a few rounds. What I found after disassembly and cleaning was this. When installing the pin if you insert it slowly you can feel a slight detent "bump" as it seats in place. You may have to remove and install it a few times to find that sweet spot. Go slow you will feel it. Once you feel it stop. The pin is seated properly. My pin has not backed out since.

I had the same problem with my Glock 35 and 24. I replaced the pins three times but nothing worked. What I did was get some cheap drill bits, found one slightly oversize to the factory pin, cut it and install. Works great!

Rowdy - if you have fired 20k rounds I am sure you know this but my pins will walk out unless I seat them correctly. There is a slight catch when I get it in the right spot. I have no idea (never looked) what the catch is but when I feel it the pin doesn't walk. When I don't it walks out after 5-10 rounds.

I don't have my 34 in front of me but I'm thinking the spring legs resting in the grooves on the pins are what keep them in place not simple friction in the block or frame. Same as an AR hammer spring.

Or I'm just wrong.

Are you talking about the spring leg on the slide stop?

I think the shoulders where the pin diameter drops is the detent point for the pin (for lack of a better term) in the locking block. If any of the parts is out of spec I could see some walking. I happened to get a new G34 today and had it apart. Hopefully my first foray into attaching pics will work on this forum. I wish it automatically resized the pic but...

post-52542-0-39730000-1395793995_thumb.j

Is it easy to push out when you disassemble it?

The polymer can actually wear out. I've taken the armorer's course three times and I think they had the same batch of 23's each time. They probably get disassembled forty times a week. Those pins can be removed with a strong breath.

I bought a set of nickel/chrome plated pins for next time my locking block (or other pins) works out.Coupla thou thicker.

Currently have nail lacquer on both ends of the pin. OK so far !