Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

See All Open Sight?

It is not magnified in the sense that it provides ANY magnification to the target. I believe THAT is the reason we hold the line at 1x.

The optic magnifies the sight only.

Hmmm what about this 1x Eotech??? I am certain the point of light emanation is smaller than the place where we see the resultant image. DAMN that's OPEN!

NOPE! The Eotech does NOT magnify the target.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but we don't allow EOTech sights for handgun and shotgun in limited because, according to the current accepted definition of optic, the EOTech has a "lens" or window that we look through, ergo "optic".

The sight of the OP has no such defining characteristic.

ericm

...but we don't allow EOTech sights for handgun and shotgun in limited because, according to the current accepted definition of optic, the EOTech has a "lens" or window that we look through, ergo "optic".

The sight of the OP has no such defining characteristic.

ericm

I agree my friend. I was playing with the idea of magnification and what how it applies

Got the sight today, tried it out.

While not terrible , I highly doubt you will see any in a 3gun match(maybe a first timer).

A bead or RDS is much faster.

While I didn't try it on a rifle, a shotgun sight was what I was mainly looking at it for. I'd say it would be as good as irons. The color definitely grabs your eye.

It reminded me alot like shooting a pistol, just the way the sight picture/sight focus/target focus looked. probably be pretty good on a pistol, a little large/high, compared to some of the smaller RDS out there.

Ok I'm tired of folks calling it "Tactical Iron", or Iron Sight Division. It no longer is, nor are any kind of dot/fiber etc. It should be called 1X division, or Tactical Non-Magnified. There aren't many real iron Sight shooters left, but Tactical Non-Magnified is taking off!!!!

Now carry on! ;)

Ok I'm tired of folks calling it "Tactical Iron", or Iron Sight Division. It no longer is, nor are any kind of dot/fiber etc. It should be called 1X division, or Tactical Non-Magnified. There aren't many real iron Sight shooters left, but Tactical Non-Magnified is taking off!!!!

Now carry on! ;)

So here's my take on this thing after playing with it.

The rear "lens" is equivalent to a rear sight, and the fiber optic is equivalent to a front sight.

Unlike a red dot, there is a very narrow window where you can actually see the triangle. You must line up the rear lens with the fiber optic then cut the target in half with the tip of the triangle making aiming more like using a pistol sight than a red dot where the dot is super imposed on the target.

If I were an MD I would allow these on shotguns along with iron sights in the tactical divisions. It's functionally the same as iron sights merely with a much shorter distance between the front and rear sights.

So here's my take on this thing after playing with it.

The rear "lens" is equivalent to a rear sight, and the fiber optic is equivalent to a front sight.

Unlike a red dot, there is a very narrow window where you can actually see the triangle. You must line up the rear lens with the fiber optic then cut the target in half with the tip of the triangle making aiming more like using a pistol sight than a red dot where the dot is super imposed on the target.

If I were an MD I would allow these on shotguns along with iron sights in the tactical divisions. It's functionally the same as iron sights merely with a much shorter distance between the front and rear sights.

Excellent summation, I agree 100%

I used one in lowlight this past week, and in that situation it was worse than iron sights because the fiber optic did not gather enough light to work even with a surefire scout light on.

The 2 Gun (rifle/pistol) Action Challenge Match here in Tucson is allowing them on rifles in Iron sight division. It is much more similar to using irons albeit with a very short sight radius than modern optics.

I played with one of these at SHOT and was thoroughly unimpressed. On a handgun it seemed incredibly slow to pickup and I feel it doesn't offer the precision of iron sights nor the speed of a 1x optic for a rifle. No opinion on shotgun use though.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one to give it a spin. It's a great little sight, don't know how it qualifies on the rule side. But it's pretty good for short distance. Ran it on an Adams COR UL,mounted it on a short riser. Sighted it in pretty quick. Well worth it but I ended up pulling it off and started using a Burris 1x4 throw down instead,

bymyny4e.jpg

utumu7yr.jpg

jumavaga.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

• 5 months later...

If you are looking through a piece of glass or plastic it's an optic. All the pictures posted show that. I'd have to see one in person to really tell but that is unlikely because I'm not going to buy one, most Tac Optic shooters will not buy one and Open shooters will buy a real optic.

Doug

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE......gotta call it an open sight where the "lens" merely defines the "crosshair reticule" (looks like a triangle to me) and you sight OVER the "lens" i.e the top edge of the "lens" is where the tip of the diamond appears.

Look at the instructions page of the link, especially the sight picture drawing.

You are not looking through an optical lenses or a refracting window like a scope or a reflex sight.

You are looking over an enhanced view of a fiber optic element.

ericm

I agree here. I have one. First you do not look through it. Second if this is an optic the my Rudy shooting glasses are as well.

Just MHO

Now carry on! ;)

God, I hate to see you so tired. Take a NAP :bow:

I bought one to give it a spin. It's a great little sight, don't know how it qualifies on the rule side. But it's pretty good for short distance. Ran it on an Adams COR UL,mounted it on a short riser. Sighted it in pretty quick. Well worth it but I ended up pulling it off and started using a Burris 1x4 throw down instead,

bymyny4e.jpg

utumu7yr.jpg

jumavaga.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Excuse my ignorance , but how the hell do you use it? What is the green thingy? Edited by bmiller

If you are looking through a piece of glass or plastic it's an optic. All the pictures posted show that. I'd have to see one in person to really tell but that is unlikely because I'm not going to buy one, most Tac Optic shooters will not buy one and Open shooters will buy a real optic.

Doug

That's quite true but you're not looking through anything with this sight...