Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

See All Open Sight?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My view: If you see the target through any kind of lens, magnified or not, then it is an optical sight. On a shotgun or pistol it would bump you to Open. On a rifle it would bump you to Tac Limited or Tac Scope depending on whether there is magnification.

Since its basically just a rear notch with a plastic filler and a big fiber front, not sure how you would define the sight. I think arguments either way would have some validity. Would really need someone to get their hands on one and give a much more detailed review to make that call.

Edited by JFlowers

I agree with Stealthy, if it uses a lens then its an optic, of some sort??? but whether it would be legal in 1x or not is the question. As far as usefulness it looks like it has merit.

Much like the B Jones sight for m1a's and such, if it uses a lens it should be classed as an optic, for our sport. IMHO

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE......gotta call it an open sight where the "lens" merely defines the "crosshair reticule" (looks like a triangle to me) and you sight OVER the "lens" i.e the top edge of the "lens" is where the tip of the diamond appears.

Look at the instructions page of the link, especially the sight picture drawing.

You are not looking through an optical lenses or a refracting window like a scope or a reflex sight.

You are looking over an enhanced view of a fiber optic element.

ericm

Here's a question was the Armson OEG considered an optic for the purposes of the sport? You didn't look through it, with both eyes open the fiber optic was super imposed in your vision. This appears to work similar to an OEG but cut in half so you can look over the top of it.

Functionally is it different than bolting fiber optic rifle sights to your barrel?

Here's a question was the Armson OEG considered an optic for the purposes of the sport? You didn't look through it, with both eyes open the fiber optic was super imposed in your vision. This appears to work similar to an OEG but cut in half so you can look over the top of it.

Functionally is it different than bolting fiber optic rifle sights to your barrel?

We're talkin' OLD, baby!!!!! MAYBE the OEG was included on the SOF approved optics list....can't remember for sure.

BUT.... the OEG has a lens, round, occular that you looked into and kind of an opaque lens on the front....I would say it is an optical sight.

This new gizzie, however, is more along the lines of the old Guttersnipe handgun sight made by Devel, only with fiber optic....not an optical sight.....OPEN IRON SIGHT (and how's that for age, Baby!!!!)

ericm

to me its not a question of open or not its a question of 1x or TO, and since the lens seems to magnify the FO/reticle to me its a magnifying optic, whether you're magnifying the target or not is irrelevant by my peewee brain. BTW, ericm how many guttersnipe hunts were you taken on as a young new mexican???

oh and we're going pdog hunting in SoDak, so call me!!!

Trapr

GAAAAAK..... it was the Seventrees ASP pistol that had the Guttersnipe....Devel came after (but maybe a few had Guttersnipes)

ericm

I don't recall Devel having the Guttersnipe, just the ASP. Charlie Kelsey used regular iron sights on his guns. The Gammon had Millet sights without the normal base.

Oooops, sorry for the thread drift. It's not often to find people that remember the old stuff. :cheers:

From the instructions on the page "The crosshair reticle(B) will be magnified by optical element (A) and appear perfectly in-focus, along with the target. "

Seems pretty cut and dry there. The reticle is magnified by an optical element. Its a magnified optic, albeit a pretty sad one compared to say a 1-6x scope, and should be treated as such for the purposes of determining division.

...and since this is a tech forum....

ret·i·cule
ˈretiˌkyo͞ol/
noun
  1. 1.
    historical
    a woman's small handbag, originally netted and typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading.
  2. 2.
    variant spelling of reticle.

...cut and DRIED.... ;)

Magnified? I don't think so.....gimmicky iron sight, but iron sight.

Should be legal for shotguns and pistols in limited.

ericm

Thanks for the correction... I didn't call it magnified the manufacturer did? If thats even the intent then using it in a division restricted to 1x optics is cheating in my book.