Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Redhead Reduced Length

fiddler

I'm looking for a youth size gun for my wife. See my thread in the classified section. Bud's has the CZ Redhead Reduced Length 20g O/U for under $750. Does anyone have any experience with these or similar CZ shotguns? How does it compare to Browning Citoris?

We ended up getting my 12 year old son a Cz redhead 12 ga with 26 inch barrels.. We got the stock fitted to him and he shoots this fine, breaking and average in the high 80's, the other day he shot a 90! Great gun my wife also is shopping for a new gun and is looking at the cz lady sterling....

I have shot the Redhead some - a friend let me shoot a couple rounds with it when I left mine at home the first day he got it. Subsequently I shoot it now and then to see how it's "breaking in". To put this in comparison, I typically shoot at Browning Citori XT (clays) or Versamax (3 gun) and have shot many other shot guns.

The Red Head is a bit lighter then a typical over and under of equal length/steel action. The lockup is tight but doesn't feel quite as positive as some more expensive guns, but is much more positive then I was expecting for a sub 1k gun. The fit and finish was good for the price. The trigger is a bit heavy and doesn't break as clean as I had hoped. I'm not saying it's bad, but I would consider putting a couple bucks into it. It did improve as more rounds went through the gun, but it's still a ways behind the Versamax, let alone a Beretta 68x or Browning Citori trigger.

In the end, the Redhead has proved to be reliable and accurate.

• 1 month later...

My wife has a Redhead and loves it. We got it for a good deal and it is really comfortable to shoot and a real bargain compared to some of the higher end O/U for the fit and finish and so forth. She has the 20 gauge with the longer barrels but the fullsize stock. I have seen a lot of the youth length stocked versions up for sale on gunbroker and would definitely recommend this shotgun.