Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Strong Mount Bolt Pattern

I'm building my reloading bench prior to the arrival of my 550B w/ Strong Mount and want to be sure I don't have a bench support where I need to put a mounting bolt.

Should the Strong Mount be attached flush with the front of the benchtop?

What is the bolt pattern dimensions?

I plan on a stand-up bench and am 5'-6" tall. I've read that the handle should be at shoulder height. What is the distance from the bench to the handle with the Strong Mount?

Thanks,

Heli Av8tor

I'm building my reloading bench prior to the arrival of my 550B w/ Strong Mount and want to be sure I don't have a bench support where I need to put a mounting bolt.

Should the Strong Mount be attached flush with the front of the benchtop?

What is the bolt pattern dimensions?

Thanks Brian,

That answers my last question. How about the other two? (See quote)

It does not have to be flush up to the front of the bench. You have a bit of leeway (an inch to 1 1/2 or so as I recall) to move it back from the front edge. You cannot go too far or you will create an interference with the operating handle and the front edge of the bench on the full downstroke.

I can't tell you the exact distance as I have my strongmount attached in a non-typical manner. I first attached my strongmount to a 3/4" piece of melamine (compressed particle board basically). Then I bolt that melamine to my benchtop with 1/2" bolts and big wingnuts. So my strongmount is actually raised from the surface of the bench by an extra 3/4" (giving me even more clearance for the operating handle). I could measure how far back I have my strongmount set if you would find this useful.

From front of strong mount to center of first hole - 1/2 inch

From center of first hole to center of rear hole - 9 inches

From front of strong mount to center of rear hole - 9 and 1/2 inches (add the two above together) :)

This is for the 550/650 strong mount. Dillon makes a 650 only strong mount, so if you have that, these measures don't apply.

• 7 months later...

From front of strong mount to center of first hole - 1/2 inch

From center of first hole to center of rear hole - 9 inches

From front of strong mount to center of rear hole - 9 and 1/2 inches (add the two above together) :)

This is for the 550/650 strong mount. Dillon makes a 650 only strong mount, so if you have that, these measures don't apply.

I'm making a templete for my 550B strong mount. Does anyone know the measurement of the front 2 holes centerline to centerline?

There is a little flex in that dimension, the width that is...will likely be about 10-11 inches depending on whether you squeeze them together or spread them apart.

Which is why you should drill the holes in bench larger than in strong mount.