Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't want to join the crowd....

I don't want to join the crowd of "I just shot my chrono".

I've got a lot of chrono work to do this spring if the weather ever warms up, both pistol and shotgun loadings.

So...my question is: How far from the muzzel should the Pro Chrono II be set up when chroning shotgun rounds for trap shooting?

Thanks,

JD

About 6-7 yds. Don't use the screens. Aim high. If first round is too high to read lower aim a little until you get a reading.

6-7yds? thats 18-21 feet. I use 10 ft for pistol. I've been seeing 3yds (9ft) for shotgun, but wonder about muzzel blast and wad etc.

JD

You don't need a chrono for trap loads. Just have someone start counting when they hear the blast, and stop when you see the bird break . Do the math from there. :devil:

Edited by Youngeyes

I use 10' for handguns. What I've done to avoid killing mine (so far) is to shoot off of a rest and have the bore axis (and target I'm aiming at) approx. 8" above the height of the chrono...no screens but I try to chrono in the morning and in a shaded area so that the sun doesn't prevent the chrono from reading.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got to the range this past Sunday. Temps in the mid 40's. Shot both pistols and shotguns thru the chrono at 10 ft and 6 ft.

Used the skyscreens and the chrono performed flawlessly. Happy to report that I have not yet joined the club.

JD