Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger’s 2-Day USPSA Competition Class – May 24 & 25, 2014

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger’s 2-Day USPSA Competition Class – May 24 & 25, 2014

Instructor:
Ben Stoeger is a USPSA Production Grand Master, having numerous Section, Area, and National Championship wins. Ben is the current and three-time USPSA Production National Champion.

Club Address:
W7503 County Road T
Holmen, WI 54636

Time: Starts at 8 a.m. and will run until about 4 p.m. both days.

Cost: $350

Ammo: Expect to shoot somewhere between 500 to 600 rounds per day. Bring extra.

Class Limit: There is a class limit of 12 students. (a minimum of 6 registered students is needed to hold the class)

The curriculum for the class will be as follows:

USPSA Techniques (this will consist mostly of specialized movement techniques)

Moving Targets

Stage Breakdown/Analysis

Practice Tips and Techniques

High Speed Accuracy

Preparation for Major Matches

+ anything people request to be added

The format of the class consists of one day of intensive work on technique. The first half day will cover USPSA fundamentals. The second half of the first day will cover more advanced USPSA techniques.

The second day will consist of a scored USPSA match (entry is included in the class fee). Ben will assist and critique each student on every stage in regards to technique. The second half of the day will be devoted to working on stage breakdown and improving stage times.

This class is geared towards anyone interested in shooting USPSA matches.

LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED BOTH DAYS

To register for the class, contact Lori Casper:

lori@casperracing.com
715-896-1966

• 2 months later...

Are there any forum posts/after actions notes from previous classes where students have identified things they wish they would have brought with them, done prior, etc. that would be helpful to anyone coming to this class?

Are there any forum posts/after actions notes from previous classes where students have identified things they wish they would have brought with them, done prior, etc. that would be helpful to anyone coming to this class?

Ideally

Bring:

A notebook to track changes you want to make.

Snack food

Do:

Make sure your gear runs

Make sure your gun is zeroed

In terms of technical skill, the ability to shoot accurately on demand is really helpful.

You mean snacks aren't provided… I was promised juice and cookies! That’s the only reason I signed up.

…more specifically, I was hoping to sort through participant comments to see if there was anything that might have been helpful to other classes if they had it to do over again. Stuff like “the range was great but next time I would bring a pop-up shade structure to be able to get out of the sun while reloading”.

So with that, I guess I can just ask. The Holman clubs website doesn’t have pictures showing all of the pistol bays so I can’t tell much about the facilities that we will be using there. Unless the whole course takes place in the mock old West town thats reminiscent of a Blazing Saddles set, which would be cool.

Does the range we are going to use have:

• shade structure(s)
  • loading tables
  • chairs
  • Would it be helpful if someone in the class brought some of that stuff

Do you have any issues with people recording their own portion of the match on Sunday?

What do you consider “extra” ammo beyond the 1200 rounds? Does that mean we should bring 1400 or is it possible to need 2000rnds if you forget to bring the ability to shoot accurately on command?

The range says its open until dusk and the class schedule goes until 4ish. Does participation in the class allow us access to the range beyond class hours if we want to continue to work on stuff?

Thanks

You mean snacks aren't provided… I was promised juice and cookies! That’s the only reason I signed up.

…more specifically, I was hoping to sort through participant comments to see if there was anything that might have been helpful to other classes if they had it to do over again. Stuff like “the range was great but next time I would bring a pop-up shade structure to be able to get out of the sun while reloading”.

So with that, I guess I can just ask. The Holman clubs website doesn’t have pictures showing all of the pistol bays so I can’t tell much about the facilities that we will be using there. Unless the whole course takes place in the mock old West town thats reminiscent of a Blazing Saddles set, which would be cool.

Does the range we are going to use have:

• shade structure(s)
  • loading tables
  • chairs
  • Would it be helpful if someone in the class brought some of that stuff

Do you have any issues with people recording their own portion of the match on Sunday?

What do you consider “extra” ammo beyond the 1200 rounds? Does that mean we should bring 1400 or is it possible to need 2000rnds if you forget to bring the ability to shoot accurately on command?

The range says its open until dusk and the class schedule goes until 4ish. Does participation in the class allow us access to the range beyond class hours if we want to continue to work on stuff?

Thanks

There isn't too much in the way of shade structures or chairs. There is a prop building at the back of the bays we are using that will be opened up should we require shade or shelter. The bays there are pretty well shaded by trees... I personally wouldn't bother with a pop up. If you want a chair I would bring one.

I have no issue with video recording yourself.

I am pretty sure we can sort you out so you can stay on the range late if you would like.

By "extra" ammo I mean to make sure you don't run out. A couple hundred over the 1200 will certainly be plenty.

Since I looked for someone else's AAR ad could't find one I figured I would post this one here for the next guy.

Ben Stoeger USPSA class, 24-25 May 14

After Actions Report/Lessons Learned

Chances are anyone thats reading this already knows what to expect from the class itself so the scope of the actual training portion of this AAR will be limited and the focus will be geared towards ensuring students know what to expect from the Holmen Range complex and the surrounding area.

Class:

The course itself was hugely beneficial for everyone that attended. Ben has developed drills that allow people at varying skill level to train side by side and all benefit from it at their own rate. Likewise, the pace of the course is such that people can go individually as hard as they want to or take a break as they need to without interfering with the drills. The key takeaway for most was the realization of the actual speeds and accuracy they were capable of in various circumstances. Ben has a good way of encouraging people to perform past their internal measurement of their own top speed/accuracy to what they are actually capable of. When I say he has a “good way” I mean he knows when to actually provide encouragement and when to use pear pressure and sarcasm with guys that respond well to that as a motivator. Overall the method of instruction was highly effective and well balanced to each individual.

Holmen Range:

- The main range house has normal bathrooms, plenty of tables/seats and keeps the fridges stocked with cold soda/water which will be available though the day. I still recommend bringing your own water so you have an ample supply incase they run short.

-The Holmen range complex is extremely sandy and many of the stages used for training will be as much sand as grass and gravel. With that, if you are using magazines that are particularly sensitive to getting dirty you should expect that to be an issue and plan accordingly. Likewise picking up brass can be a PITA.

— The Sand is fairly fine so bringing a can of compressed air (Computer cleaner) may be an easy way to clean out mags during the day if required.

— A few small tarps to catch brass at static stages would be helpful.

— A beach towel sized tarp or hotel towel will help keep mags out of the dirt on some of the static training events.

- Most of the stages have enough trees or manmade “stuff” around to provide some shade and there are enough spools and tables around to make reloading easy.

- The parking lot is only about 100 meters from the upper ranges so its easy enough to go back to the car for more ammo or to swap out water bottles if needed if you don’t mind walking up and down the hill. The range staff usually had a Gator andy to make runs for water or stuff for the group. A match cart is still handy to lug stuff around in.

- Cell service is poor all over the range. AT&T is effectively unusable for any voice calls but Verizon seemed spotty enough to make calls in some areas.

Lodging:

-The LaCross/Onalaska area are about 20 minutes South of the range and have all the major hotel and restaurant chains. If you are military/LE or have any other government affiliation the Hampton Inn has a state Gov rate of $70 a night which is tough to beat.

- There is a campsite less then a mile from the range that has coin operated showers available 24/7. If you are checking out of your hotel Sunday morning but have to make a long drive home after the class the campsite is a convenient spot to get cleaned up at. You can expect to be fairly sandy/dirty by the time you leave the range. A day pass to the campground runs $3 and allows access to all of the facilities. Showers are $0.25 for 5 minutes (Quarters only)

www.whisperingpinescampground.net

Random Stuff:

-The highest octane fuel thats readily available/easy to find in the area was 91 Octane. I could not find 93 anywhere so if you have a car that needs 93 plan accordingly and fuel up before you get to LaCross/Onalaska.

- If you are unfamiliar with the area, it is home to humming bird like mosquitoes so bring bug stuff that works on prehistoric insects with a thirst for flesh.

- If you are coming up from the South along IL 39 keep in mind that it is a toll road and all of the minor exits are unmanned and only accept coins as payment so you need to have $1.10 in change handy if you want to get off for gas or anything else. That being said, IL also has a policy about “accidents” so as long as you do not exceed 2 toll violations (failure to pay) in 24 months you don’t get a ticket.

Edited by Friction