Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope ring height for 3 Gun AR flattop

kbear38S

What height scope rings are recommended for an optical scope on an AR flattop?

I'm putting my gun on a diet. I found out my Rock River scope mount weight about 11 oz. and I'm looking for something lighter. The RRA mount is 1 1/8" high but I don't know if that much height is necessary.

Anybody have any recommendation for rings- preferably ones that aren't ridiculously expensive?

I've found the Weaver See-Thru rings work pretty well on my flat top AR.  They cramp directly to the rail, so there is no separate mount needed.   The See-Thru aspect is only to elevate the scope as thee are no iron sights on the gun.

Guy

Try the Armalite mounts. I love the one piece mount I have (Part # EX0027). It will return to zero (1/4 MOA) if you want to have changeable optics. This mount puts the centerline of the scope 1.5" above the top of the rail.

tp://www.armalite.com/index-old.htm

Use the "Catalog" link, and you will find the "Scopes & Rings" link.

This scope mount gets 5 stars.

BTW, If price is your main concern, I have some old Redfield rings that will mount a 1" scope on Picatinny rail. I used them on my old flat top before I converted it to a limited rifle, and don't need them any more. I offer them to you at no charge. Send me an e-mail if you are interested (my address is in my profile).

Regards,

(Edited by George at 4:44 pm on Jan. 22, 2003)

I usually use a leupold 3-9X or 1.5-5X.  I use medium Leupold QRW rings and an Accuracy Speaks scope base.  The AS scope base raises the scope and also projects over the handguard past the receiver to allow for proper eye relief. With out that scope base, you need super high rings for a flattop.

Plain old weaver rings are a good piece of equipment.  I like the leupolds but weavers are a lot cheaper.