Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Motorcycle License

sfchorn

My gf and I have little 49cc scooters that we enjoy riding (in Texas, you don't need a mc endorsement if the scooter is below 50cc). We stick to streets with a speed limit of 30mph or less. We are considering upgrading to 150cc or 250cc scooters just to be able to keep up with traffic a little better. That means a mc endorsement.

Took the safety course, and had the option of using a scooter or motorcycle. Decided to use the motorcycle. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in almost 40 years. What a blast!

Got my certificate yesterday. Now to the Department of Public Safety Office (that's what Texas calls the DMV) to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license.

Now, decision time. Do I stick with a scooter, or put on my big boy pants?....

I ride a super-sport touring bike which is great for the road, but I'd love something smaller for buzzing around town. Why not buy a real bike, keep the scooter and have the best of both worlds?

You could always do something crazy like build a trike. Still need a M1 on 3 wheels in TX. I see them everywhere in SA. Makes little kids jaws drop, and old ladies swoon. Just don't join the Banditos.

Always ride as though you are invisible!

Sorry. Gotta strongly disagree here. When you ride make your power and presence known. The vanilla drivers need to know you are there. Ride with confidence and strength. Big boy pants are made from leather. Put them on bro. Ride safe. :)

Youngeyes, I think Brian is talking about the old saying "ride as if you were invisible". It doesn't mean you're trying to be invisible. It means you should ride so people wont hit you even if they don't see you. I have Cobra drag pipes and try to ride in groups so people hear and see me. But I still "ride as if I'm invisible".

Congrats on getting your license. I have had my endorsement for close to 35 years. My best advice to you, is to find something in the 250cc to 500cc range, cruiser style bike, one that you won't get upset if it falls over and gets a dent. Lot of those on Craigslist Then ride it for a year, or till you feel really comfortable on the bike. Then invest in the bike you want. And, if you take good care of the learning bike, you'll likely get most of your money back.

And I believe in the phrase "Ride like your invisable" It has served me well..........

Youngeyes, I think Brian is talking about the old saying "ride as if you were invisible". It doesn't mean you're trying to be invisible. It means you should ride so people wont hit you even if they don't see you. I have Cobra drag pipes and try to ride in groups so people hear and see me. But I still "ride as if I'm invisible".

agreed. I have not been on a motorcycle in almost 40 years but I have almost hit a few that were riding quiet bikes in my blind spot. There is a lot of truth to the saying, "loud pipes save lives".

Congrats on getting your license. I have had my endorsement for close to 35 years. My best advice to you, is to find something in the 250cc to 500cc range, cruiser style bike, one that you won't get upset if it falls over and gets a dent. Lot of those on Craigslist Then ride it for a year, or till you feel really comfortable on the bike. Then invest in the bike you want. And, if you take good care of the learning bike, you'll likely get most of your money back.

And I believe in the phrase "Ride like your invisable" It has served me well..........

I agree with the 250cc-500cc comment above, BUT one of the best beginner bikes out there is the Shadow VLX600. It's small and maneuverable enough for a beginner but big enough for short 2-up rides or longer solo trips. It's a cruiser style bike too, so it's more forgiving of mistakes than some of your sportier models. The only complaints I had were the small fuel tank and it really needs a 5th gear if you are going to do much time on the slab.

My wife and I started with a '08 VLX600 when we got back into riding and when she bought her FZ6R she got what we had in it on trade in.

agreed. I have not been on a motorcycle in almost 40 years but I have almost hit a few that were riding quiet bikes in my blind spot. There is a lot of truth to the saying, "loud pipes save lives".

Loud pipes may make a difference in some cases, but more important is the rider having the skill to recognize other driver's blind spots and common sense to stay out of them.

I'm only 36 and been riding the streets since I was 20. In that time I have found that the greatest danger had quickly become people on their phones and texting while driving. It used to be people just not seeing you and pulling out of a side street or turning left in front of you. These people on their phones are a problem.

I remember the old joke about mopeds and scooters. They are like fat chicks, fun to ride but you don't want your friends seeing you with one.

That being said if I lived in a city I'd have a small bike or scooter to make my way thru traffic.

Every single person i know that had a bike, motorcycle, sport bike, etc.. any 2 wheel, it went down one way or another. In the garage or the street.. or maybe in the track. So buy a decent used one, if you can.

If I have to buy another bike, it'd be a scooter=) its always a fun ride around town. I dont think ill ever ride in the freeway again in a motorcycle. Probably up in the mountains, on a quiet day.

Goodluck! Ride safe.

Correct.

When I got a bike license in Kansas back in 53 I went to take test and the examiner had me ride around the parking lot twice and then said "you pass". Probably a little more difficult now.

When I took mine in the early '80s, it was actually a bit difficult.

When I got a bike license in Kansas back in 53 I went to take test and the examiner had me ride around the parking lot twice and then said "you pass". Probably a little more difficult now.

When I took mine in the early '80s, it was actually a bit difficult.

The RMV inspector said " Go out of the lot, around the block and if you make it back, you pass"