Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best progressive reloading press to load 9mm

Whats wrong with your 550B? I love mine ...

The 550 is a great machine. The biggest deciding factor for me to get the 650 was its auto indexing feature(with the weakened spring mod). The extra die station influenced my decision as well but I have yet to take advantage of it.

A case feeder is convenient but with the high price its low on my list of priorities. I'm a big diy'er too so buying a case feeder would feel like I'm paying Dillon to put my cases in a tube for me.

Edited by CZspeed

You'll only know how great the mr bulletfeeder is when you switch calibers and don't have one....I was on the phone after 20 rounds! 650 with a mr bullet feeder. Buy once cry once!

• 1 month later...

If all you plan to load is 9MM you need to look at load rates vs. cost. I had a 550. I upgraded to the 1050. It was a better buy.

If you load much 223 the 1050 is the only way to go with the ability to cut and swage on the machine.

upgraded from a 550 to a 650 with casefeeder. Best money spent in a long time. The 650 is not perfect for sure and has its quirks, but you can turn out ammo fast. A 1050 would be nice especially with the autodrive stuff but a 650 is a solid machine for the money spent.

I use a hornady lock-n-load AP. Only had it a month or so and only loaded a few hundred rounds of 9mm and 223. Overall I am happy with the unit. Coming from single stage reloading this setup will save me a lot of time.

I have a Dillon 650xl and one of there vibrating tumblers have had for better part of 12 years now, The tumbler went out call Dillon they told me to send it to them and they fixed it for free and sent to me... Wow!!! talk about service, I have never paid for a broken part or nothing. I recommend to anyone I talk to buy it and don't look back

• 3 weeks later...

A lot depends on the amount of ammo you intend to use and your budget. I didn't want to spend a whole lot and I'm only loading 9mm so I went with a Dillon Square Deal. Works like a champ and loads fast enough for my needs.

• 3 months later...

Whats wrong with your 550B? I love mine and can load pretty darn fast. If I had a case feeder, I bet I could run just as fast as a 650.

If nothing else, having an extra die station to check the powder charge is worth the upgrade. It has saved my bacon a few times...

I almost got a 1050, but am happy I chose the 650. It's a very nice machine.

how does it check the powder charge... this is the one thing that has deterred me from going progressive...

My eyes check the charge. A powder check is not much better than good fundamentals of loading. Even with a powder check you should visually look in each case. A 650 is simply faster because it auto indexes, but a powder check should not be your main deciding factor.

• 2 weeks later...