Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Brand New" unused 550 from 1985. What do I need to know?

What you should do with it is mail it to me. :goof: The diffence is the 550B has the fail-safe powder system and a low primer alarm added. Other than that, the 550 and the 550b are the same.

I have everything put together and cleaned up. Nearly 30 years of sitting caused some corrosion issues between the steel parts and aluminum. Everything is moving freely now. The only issue is that the press does not "reset" after the up stroke for the prime. I dont know if this is normal for the machine but my SBD bounces back nicely. The only spring that applies this force in the one on the primer cup. I think the failsafe powder system might add some boost to this as well. The powder feed system was fairly bound up and i could not get the part that threads into the tool head to come off the rest of the measure so I could insert the funnel. I am fairly pleased with it and I can see the dollars being spent on add ons for it already. Its nice to see more blue on my bench.

I've got an original 550.

The Powder failsafe rod addition is recommended.

Two other differences are: 1) the primer slide bar rides on a machined section of the aluminum frame and not a steel plate, and 2) the aluminum casting is slightly different on the new ones but not in any significant way. Just keep the primer slide bar lubed on the bottom with triflow or some other light lube and you are good to go. The shell platform should bounce back like on your SDB. If there is a lot of corrosion I would consider sending it back to Dillon for a refurb.

Great machine and should serve you for a lifetime.

• 1 month later...

I followed the recommendations for lube and maintenance here on the forum and I got everything back together. The shell plate bounces back nicely now and the press runs smoothly. Now I need to make the investment in the parts I need. I plan to eventually do a two tool head set up for loading .223. For now I will size and de prime on my RCBS, trim by hand, swage on a 600, then load on the 550. Eventually I will have a second tool head with a 1200 on it.