Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
3djedi

Trying to load with what I have.......

New loader here......

I have some 700x and some hornady 147g xtp's. I looked at the hodgon's load data website and found this for my exact bullet: (for 4" barrel. I'm using a glock 34 though)

IMR
700-X
.355"
1.100"
27,300 PSI
32,000 PSI

problem is with 2.6gn that is only a 112PF and at the max of 2.9gn its only a 123PF..........even at max not enough to make minor!

Not only that I've read on here that 700x doesn't meter well......Since I'm a new loader should I just try to find a different powder?

The Lyman 48th Ed. post loads for the Speer 147 gr TMJ @ oal 1.115"

2.8 gr 700X = 766 start

3.6 gr 700X = 949 max

I settled on loads between 3.1 gr & 3.3 gr 700X w/ 147 Precision Delta JTC, which was a comfortable and accurate load in several Glocks. A 1911 may need to be a little warmer. The chrono data is 3.1 gr = 850 fps; 3.2 gr = 878 fps and 3.3 gr = 890 in a G17. Hope that helps. I'd disregard the trash talk about the metering. Test the load in your pistol and see if it meets your needs. Good luck.

Thanks.....I did try the 700x out today and horrible time getting consistent metering. I had to check ever load on the scale.