Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New, Anodized Toolheads

my local powder coater will do one any color for alot less than a new anodized new..JMO

So, your powder coater will buy you a new head and coat it for less than $35? That is a good deal.

I bought five of the new heads today from Brian, he didn't even know about them yet so I might have the first to have bought some of them through him.

Isn't powder coating much thicker than anodizing? Seems like it would be too thick, but I'm not sure...

RDA - sweet! All the same color, or a mix? You'll have to report on how you like them.

I still would like an "upgrade option, where I could send in my "normal" tool head and say $10 or $15 for an anodized version...

Isn't powder coating much thicker than anodizing? Seems like it would be too thick, but I'm not sure...

RDA - sweet! All the same color, or a mix? You'll have to report on how you like them.

I still would like an "upgrade option, where I could send in my "normal" tool head and say $10 or $15 for an anodized version...

Yes, powder coating is THICK when compared to anodizing. As much as some here complain about tool head slop (a very highly over rated issue), maybe they need to powder coat their tool heads. Powder coating can be .0015" to .0030" while anodizing can be 0.00002" to 0.0007" (depends on method).

I ordered two black (for my 300 Blackout), two blue (for my .223/5.56 set-up) and one silver (for 9mm).

They look really nice, I doubt there is any performance difference but I needed some tool heads anyway so I ordered some. I'll let you know.

I love the new Dillon anodized toolheads! Any chance we can trade in un-anodized ones, (and pay a little) for an anodized one?

I can dream, right?

I am sure that you can put your old ones up for sale and they won't last long if you have the correct pricing. :-) It seems like one can never have enough tool heads.

Powder coating doesn't scratch near as easily as anodizing. I'll have to pass on these.

Good point, with how roughly I treat tool heads, bashing them here and there, I am sure the anodizing will look like hell in no time...

All of the GSI tool heads I have are anodized but I don't have any problems with my plain cast tool heads either. My eyes are good enough and my reloading room well lighted enough that I can read what dies are in them so I don't need color coating, yet.

It's more than just a color difference. I saw them at the Shot Show. The standard tool heads are cast aluminum. The anodized heads are machined from billet. Much more precise and stronger too. Would they make a difference in loading? Nope.

I love the new Dillon anodized toolheads! Any chance we can trade in un-anodized ones, (and pay a little) for an anodized one?

I can dream, right?

I am sure that you can put your old ones up for sale and they won't last long if you have the correct pricing. :-) It seems like one can never have enough tool heads.

Then you have to reset all of the dies - I don't think so.

I don't know how dillon can claim the original old toolheads are "precision CNC machined". They are clearly cast zinc pot metal and not very precise.

Now all they need to do is sell them with helicoils already in them and they'd have a good thing going.