Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique Anything You See!

Gooldylocks

I see. I hadn't thought about your accuracy falling at the same time you do, it makes sense though. One of my problems I think is that the movement is so short and I never feel like I can get up to speed, I will try doing some shorter direction changing stuff like suicides, it sounds like it will help. And pushing off my back foot more, I need to work on that. I have the tendency to slip out of the gravel where we shoot when I really put down the power also, which isn't good (but easily fixed with different shoes)

You need aggressive footwear to make full use of hard acceleration steps. Give the Salomon Speedcross 3 or Fellraiser a try as these shoes work very well in pretty much all range conditions.

When I talk to my students about the level of movement aggressiveness needed I usually point out that the loose dirt, rocks, sand or whatever SHOULD be displaced when the proper acceleration movement methods are used. If you are shooting a stage on a range with a soft surface there should be clear evidence on the ground of where you are pushing off hard from positions. If you can't see evidence of hard acceleration in the dirt, then you are probably not accelerating hard enough.

I was actually thinking about wearing my high school football cleats to the next match. They have the replaceable cleats for when you wear them out or are playing somewhere wear shorter is better. I feel like they might dig into the gravel better. I will give those Salomons a look, I like their ski boots so they probably make good shoes right? :goof:

Your shoulders seem really tense you can see recoil moving through them. If your stance works for you fine ,but I think you'll find that If you don't drop your head ,and dont raise your shoulders you will have a more fluidity in your movement. Also unlock your elbows.

Managing your recoil by changing your stance will help with splits, transitions, and movement in and out of shooting positions (you won't be so rigid). Just an observation from a mediocre shooter so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by caspian38

The local guy that gave me that class a few weeks ago scolds me on my shoulders being tense quite a lot, and dropping my head (I think that me dropping my head leads to the tense shoulders). I really have been consciously trying to shoot standing up straighter (it's like skiing to me, tell yourself to bend at the hips, don't hunch over!) and it definitely helps me with recoil, but I always find myself defaulting back to head low and gun up. I need like a bark collar that zapps me if I drop my head, I can't think of any other way to train myself to not!