Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Question

BillinTR

I finally got my classification up to date this past weekend but I have a question because my classification on my card was not indicated as I expected.

I intentionally shot a CDP gun in the classifier with the idea that I could get my classification applied to all three semi auto divisions. But when it came time to sign my card I was only given a CDP classification. When I questioned the match director about why he did not indicate all three on my card he told me that it was not required because my CDP classification would apply to all three divisions in the absence of classification in the other two divisions. Since the times are different for the three divisions I would expect it to be possible to get different classifications in the three divisions. Although my time would have put me in the same classification in all three that particular aspect of the classification would not have applied.

Did the MD do this right or should my card have been signed for all three divisions?

I'm pretty sure you have to request (before you shoot) that you want the classifier to count for multiple divisions. If you did that and your equipment meets the requirements for the three divisions, then it seems the MD dropped the ball.

I'm pretty sure you have to request (before you shoot) that you want the classifier to count for multiple divisions. If you did that and your equipment meets the requirements for the three divisions, then it seems the MD dropped the ball.

+1

Mine put me down for ESP and SSP. I classified shooting a 2011. Still don't know how he did that.

+1

Mine put me down for ESP and SSP. I classified shooting a 2011. Still don't know how he did that.

?? Interesting...

A 2011 (single action) doesn't qualify for SSP.

Well I was shooting a Sig P220 which is qualified for all 3 divisions. Admittedly it is not the best pistol for SSP or ESP but my objective was to classify in all three. And yes I did indicate that I was attempting to get all three classifications. But when it came time to sign my card he only signed it for CDP and told me it was not necessary to put all 3 on my classification card. I checked today and the classifications have not yet been entered into the IDPA database. I didn't press the issue that morning because there were a lot of people waiting to get their card signed and I figured I could get it straightened out later. Maybe that was a mistake.

+1

?? Interesting...

A 2011 (single action) doesn't qualify for SSP.

Things are different in Texas - they have their own rules.

Rule 9.1.1 states " The IDPA Classification Database is the only official record of classification. The IDPA Classification Database must be kept up-to-date and accurate by each IDPA club's Match Director, Club Contact or designee."

Based on this I would say the card you got signed is irrelevant. If your gun, ammo and gear was legal in all three divisions and you requested classification in all three he should do that for you when he enters the scores (rule 9.3.1) If you check them and find out that he has not ask him to fix it. If he doesn't contact IDPA headquarters and explain the situation.

The rules do allow you to shoot club level matches in a division that you are not classified for if you are classified in the division you shoot the most (rule 9.2.4). However, that would be your decision to remain unclassified in those other two divisions not the match director's. Either way, you need the classification if you want to compete in a sanctioned match in a particular division.

Well my understanding of the new rules is exactly as you have outlined them. I have a copy of the rule book downloaded. But I am concerned that based upon his statements to me at the match when signing my card that the IDPA database will not reflect my classification in all three divisions. So far the IDPA database has not been updated with the results of this classifier. I sent an email to the IDPA web site about this. Hopefully I will hear back fairly soon.