Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

kneelingatlas

I suspect this has been covered in this forum, so if someone will point it to me I'd appreciate it.  New Shadow 1, has had a trigger job, SRT, Competition hammer, etc.  All CZ Custom parts.  Trigger feels fine in both DA and SA.  This is my 5th shadow, but first time this gunsmith worked on one.  

Safety is too sensitive.  if I don't hold my thumb down on it, it will engage while I'm shooting.  I need some space so it doesn't engage so easily.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, wchangose said:

I suspect this has been covered in this forum, so if someone will point it to me I'd appreciate it.  New Shadow 1, has had a trigger job, SRT, Competition hammer, etc.  All CZ Custom parts.  Trigger feels fine in both DA and SA.  This is my 5th shadow, but first time this gunsmith worked on one.  

Safety is too sensitive.  if I don't hold my thumb down on it, it will engage while I'm shooting.  I need some space so it doesn't engage so easily.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

You could get an adjustable sear and spacer from Cajun, and it should be able to set just right on the safety lug so it's a definite on/off but not stiff or loose.  I have them in all of mine.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/

https://cajungunworks.com/product/s-spacer-sear-spacer/

19 hours ago, MoRivera said:

You could get an adjustable sear and spacer from Cajun, and it should be able to set just right on the safety lug so it's a definite on/off but not stiff or loose.  I have them in all of mine.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/

https://cajungunworks.com/product/s-spacer-sear-spacer/

Unlike others, I don't think the adjustable sear will solve your problem.  I would check the detents and spring that are supposed to hold your safety in place.  See (copied) photos below:  

&title=CZ%20Tuning%20101%20with%20Profes

If those are OK, take a look at your safety shaft itself.  Perhaps the spots the detents are supposed to click into are worn or damaged...  

Edited by Ken6PPC

44 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Unlike others, I don't think the adjustable sear will solve your problem.  I would check the detents and spring that are supposed to hold your safety in place.  See (copied) photos below:  

If those are OK, take a look at your safety shaft itself.  Perhaps the spots the detents are supposed to click into are worn or damaged...  

That is a good point, to check that detent.  However I have run into something similar as what is posted when changing out hammers which positioned the sear lug a bit differently on the safety, so there was almost no resistance.  The adjustable sear took care of that.  But yes, maybe should check the detent first, especially if the lever is indeed just flopping around (in which case it may need both).  Or even check if it may have been lost, as it's very easy to lose like I'm sure many of us have found out!

Edited by MoRivera

1 hour ago, MoRivera said:

Or even check if it may have been lost, as it's very easy to lose like I'm sure many of us have found out!

Plus 1 to that! 

Several years later, I still have a safety detent for a 75 Pre B hiding out somewhere in my garage!  

• 3 weeks later...

The worst is if you work on lots of guns and then you find a mystery spring and can’t for the life of you figure out which gun it belongs to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/4/2020 at 2:58 PM, Mercs said:

The worst is if you work on lots of guns and then you find a mystery spring and can’t for the life of you figure out which gun it belongs to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that's like an Easter egg...put it in the mystery jar, and some day you'll notice that you're front backup sight on your AR is wobbly...and DING!

Now where'd I put that %$#@-ing jar..............

On 2/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, wchangose said:

Thanks,

I have the CGW adjustable sear in mine and it does work great!

But if that is not the rout that you want to take, there is a video on how to fit a safety in a gun from CZC, they are doing the job in a A01LD but it would be close to the same. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8NVFy2Kqm4 

• 3 months later...

Sir Atlas,

Thanks for your information. I used the Eeman teach upgrade kit, but polished and followed your methof so an SP-01 Shadow.

DA went from 9lb 15oz to 5lb over 5 shot average

SA went from 3lb 8oz to 2lb 5oz over 5 shot average.

But by far the best thing is all grittiness is gone from doble action. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

Cheers from Australia!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed CGW SRS-1 and did some polishing. Many thanks for the excellent writeup. Everything was straightforward except for reinstallation of the sear spring; I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed my colorful commentary.

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

I just bought this and am not super knowledgeable with the detailed break down even with all the detailed pictures, I know, come on man. Im from Orange County and am wondering if you work on other peoples guns? id rather pay a gunsmith to do the upgrades. Appreciate yall.

15 hours ago, HelpMyCZ said:

Hey there,

I just bought this and am not super knowledgeable with the detailed break down even with all the detailed pictures, I know, come on man. Im from Orange County and am wondering if you work on other peoples guns? id rather pay a gunsmith to do the upgrades. Appreciate yall.

Unfortunately no, this is just a hobby for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This thread was awesome and really helped with some great ideas for polishing. I made an account just to say thanks. My kids loooooved hearing me curse and bang away at the hammer pins. I'm curious as I've only worked on Sigs and Glocks for the most part before buying a 97B; are CZ's typically a little more advanced to work on? 

Also, how greasy do you guys like your inside parts to be? I've heard everything from heart attack diet fried chicken & ribs greasy to vegan salad with minimal dressing light film greasy and I'm curious what other people who shoot these particular guns say.

• 5 months later...

I recently bought a new in box CZ 75 Compact  This is my first CZ pistol and my first DA/SA semi-auto pistol. After shooting the gun in stock form I installed a CGW reduced reach trigger and short reset system Pro kit.  Bench retests seemed just fine but on initial range outing I found it would indeterminately double discharge.  I called CGW and was told to review all the paper work sent with the Pro kit.  I did just that and stripped and inspected my work.  Next outing I had the same problem.  I let the Range Officer fire a number of five round strings and he had no issues.  I let a fellow pistol shooter that was present and he had no problems.  I fired it again and got a double discharge after a few rounds.  The Range Officer is of the opinion that it might be my hold on the gun.  I have Arthritis in my right wrist which does cause me to hold with a lite grip.  I can understand an auto pistol failing to cycle from a "limp wrist" hold but the double discharge is a different animal.  After a double discharge the slide is at batter, hammer down with a live round in the chamber.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 1:39 PM, ceh246 said:

I recently bought a new in box CZ 75 Compact  This is my first CZ pistol and my first DA/SA semi-auto pistol. After shooting the gun in stock form I installed a CGW reduced reach trigger and short reset system Pro kit.  Bench retests seemed just fine but on initial range outing I found it would indeterminately double discharge.  I called CGW and was told to review all the paper work sent with the Pro kit.  I did just that and stripped and inspected my work.  Next outing I had the same problem.  I let the Range Officer fire a number of five round strings and he had no issues.  I let a fellow pistol shooter that was present and he had no problems.  I fired it again and got a double discharge after a few rounds.  The Range Officer is of the opinion that it might be my hold on the gun.  I have Arthritis in my right wrist which does cause me to hold with a lite grip.  I can understand an auto pistol failing to cycle from a "limp wrist" hold but the double discharge is a different animal.  After a double discharge the slide is at batter, hammer down with a live round in the chamber.

Any help would be appreciated.

It really sounds like you are bump firing.  Try concentrating on follow thru.