Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

kneelingatlas

On 5/11/2018 at 6:17 AM, Mercs said:

I don’t see any CGW that fit the shadow. I’ve seen the HAJO have issues so I’m weary to buy that one also. The ones that came on the Shadow are ok, I just wonder if the competition sights produce a better/faster sight picture. I’ve never actually used sights with squared edges like that before, and I know they hang back a bit on the slide compared to the standard sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this one from CZ Custom and it’s adjustable for elevation and windage. Prefer the squared off shape of the rear sight blade on this one vs the pyramid shape one that came on my S2. E5B73F95-967A-4C41-ACC3-6F22532C6F13.jpeg.11be1931986238900c3ab67014732464.jpeg

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used this one from CZ Custom and it’s adjustable for elevation and windage. Prefer the squared off shape of the rear sight blade on this one vs the pyramid shape one that came on my S2. E5B73F95-967A-4C41-ACC3-6F22532C6F13.jpeg.11be1931986238900c3ab67014732464.jpeg

Yes, thats what I want most. But it’s been out of stock. I don’t know if the ones available on eBay have the weaker pins and such

Have you checked CGW? They also offer decent adjustable sights.

Yes, thats what I want most. But it’s been out of stock. I don’t know if the ones available on eBay have the weaker pins and such

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Mercs said:

You can put yourself on a list to be notified when it becomes available, that’s what I did. The S2 already has the correct height front sight. This new sight sits perfectly low with my 147gr loads. I hate when the rear sight has to be raised high and leaving an unsightly gap between the top of the slide and the bottom of the rear sight blade. CZC is great to deal with. 

You can put yourself on a list to be notified when it becomes available, that’s what I did. The S2 already has the correct height front sight. This new sight sits perfectly low with my 147gr loads. I hate when the rear sight has to be raised high and leaving an unsightly gap between the top of the slide and the bottom of the rear sight blade. CZC is great to deal with. 

Nice move, I’m gonna put myself on the list then if I don’t like the fixed comp sight. I ordered a Dawson .195 front to go with it from researching what others have done. Hopefully it works out well

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 3:05 AM, HI5-O said:

Did the shorter notch bother you? I measured .107T on my factory rear and .90T on the competition adjustable. 

Professor Atlas I appreciate the time you took to make such a detailed thread, on a second note I don't think my wife appreciates it nearly as much. I know what I'll be working on this week once my stuff comes in!

16 hours ago, mfgundlach said:

Professor Atlas I appreciate the time you took to make such a detailed thread, on a second note I don't think my wife appreciates it nearly as much. I know what I'll be working on this week once my stuff comes in!

I'm happy to share 

For those who are interested......

Got rid of my Shadow 2, but liked the rear sight, especially the beveled profile, so got one for my Accu Shadow which came with a fully-adjustable rear...but again I like the blade profile of the S2 unit, and I think it will be considerably sturdier.  Also switched the front sight to a .215"-tall .100"-wide Dawson that I had on the Shadow 2.  So if anyone was thinking of doing this and would like to see how it looks.....

St1.jpg

St1a.jpg

St3a.jpg

St4.jpg

Edited by MoRivera

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, dukduk said:

Good to know. I swapped my stock one back

FWIW, Antonin Zendl from the Czech Republic sells the blades as a separate item. I ordered two of the slightly higher blades with the deeper notch and they were an easy install.

So you don't need to buy an entirely new unit. Keep in mind that the height increases slightly. For IPSC it's fine, because there's no box rule. But for USPSA, I don't know if this is an issue. 

Sorry I didn't get through all 24 pages, but had to ask a question. I recently (at my age, a year ago is recent) purchased a CZ75B. I'm not impressed with the SA trigger, although the DA is pretty smooth. I plan to install a CGW 75100 carry kit. Anyway, the question is about a statement regarding rounding the surface where the back of the slide breaks the hammer. In researching my 1911 issues, I learned that the original design had a small radius where the hammer broke over the firing pin block, like the CZ is now. Way back in the early years, soldiers found it difficult to charge the pistol, so they went back to the designer and had a change made to do what the OP in this thread suggests and make a long radius on that edge. It does make it easier to start, but conventional wisdom is that it also starts moving much sooner on recoil which makes the slide hit the end of it's rearward travel harder causing more punishment to the pistol and MORE muzzle flip. This is in direct contrast to the assertion that rounding that surface on the slide will reduce muzzle flip. I purchased a new firing pin block for my 1911 from EGW with no radius and fitted it and fashioned a short radius replicating the original. It is definitely noticeable when racking the slide manually, although I haven't been out to shoot it since doing the work. While the 1911 and the CZ are different pistols, I would think the principal is the same. Does anybody else have any information on this topic?

• 3 weeks later...

I radiused the pirtion of my slide that contacts the hammer on my CZ. I'm not sure if it lead to any reduction in perceived recoil. I could definitely tell that it was easuer to rack the slide when the hammer was fully uncocked. 

On 12/21/2018 at 8:15 AM, Beale said:

Sorry I didn't get through all 24 pages, but had to ask a question. I recently (at my age, a year ago is recent) purchased a CZ75B. I'm not impressed with the SA trigger, although the DA is pretty smooth. I plan to install a CGW 75100 carry kit. Anyway, the question is about a statement regarding rounding the surface where the back of the slide breaks the hammer. In researching my 1911 issues, I learned that the original design had a small radius where the hammer broke over the firing pin block, like the CZ is now. Way back in the early years, soldiers found it difficult to charge the pistol, so they went back to the designer and had a change made to do what the OP in this thread suggests and make a long radius on that edge. It does make it easier to start, but conventional wisdom is that it also starts moving much sooner on recoil which makes the slide hit the end of it's rearward travel harder causing more punishment to the pistol and MORE muzzle flip. This is in direct contrast to the assertion that rounding that surface on the slide will reduce muzzle flip. I purchased a new firing pin block for my 1911 from EGW with no radius and fitted it and fashioned a short radius replicating the original. It is definitely noticeable when racking the slide manually, although I haven't been out to shoot it since doing the work. While the 1911 and the CZ are different pistols, I would think the principal is the same. Does anybody else have any information on this topic?

Look at this video:

You can see two distinct phases to the recoil: the intial lift when the bullet exits the barrel, then the flip when the slide impacts the frame.  All else equal, the square firing pin stop radius results in more inital rise and a less forceful impact on the frame.  Some might percieve this as an improvement, others may not.

A heavier hammer spring or a heavier recoil spring also have a similar effect.

When you go the opposite way, the front sight dwells on the target longer, but the impact of the slide on frame is sharper.

Grip strength, slide weight, bullet weight, powder choice and overall gun weight all factor into recoil feel as well.

There are enough variables involved to drive you to drink 😊. An important thing to remember is energy spent experimenting with this stuff probably won't yeild the same improvement in score than time spent on quality training.

If I've never done more than a basic field strip on a pistol before, is the Pro Package too much to attempt?  I already have an 85C trigger I want to install, which seems like it requires a huge disassembly anyway...

Even if I just drop in all the parts and do no polishing (afraid of polishing away too much) can I expect much improvement?

4 hours ago, matir said:

Even if I just drop in all the parts and do no polishing (afraid of polishing away too much) can I expect much improvement?

Yes, you'd see much improvement. 

Personally, I find the CZ design very easy and intuitive to detail strip. There are really not that many parts. But I am mechanically inclined to begin with to be honest. If you are worried about it even after watching a video or two, you might be able to find someone locally to show you in person.

Also, if you are replacing the trigger you'd be well served by ditching the stock trigger pin for the CZC or CGW improved one. 

9 hours ago, matir said:

If I've never done more than a basic field strip on a pistol before, is the Pro Package too much to attempt?  I already have an 85C trigger I want to install, which seems like it requires a huge disassembly anyway...

If you can change the trigger, you shouldn't have a problem with anything else.  As far as the polishing goes, the parts will eventually wear smooth with use, polishing is just a shortcut to a smooth action.

9 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you can change the trigger, you shouldn't have a problem with anything else.  As far as the polishing goes, the parts will eventually wear smooth with use, polishing is just a shortcut to a smooth action.

Awesome.  Ordered a pro kit and new dawson sights.  Feels like I'm basically building a new pistol inside the SP-01 frame.  :)

On 8/3/2018 at 6:49 AM, MoRivera said:

For those who are interested......

Got rid of my Shadow 2, but liked the rear sight, especially the beveled profile, so got one for my Accu Shadow which came with a fully-adjustable rear...but again I like the blade profile of the S2 unit, and I think it will be considerably sturdier.  Also switched the front sight to a .215"-tall .100"-wide Dawson that I had on the Shadow 2.  So if anyone was thinking of doing this and would like to see how it looks.....

St1.jpg

St1a.jpg

St3a.jpg

St4.jpg

bit off topic but you prefer the Shadow Sp01 over the Shadow 2?

8 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

bit off topic but you prefer the Shadow Sp01 over the Shadow 2?

Indeed I do.  It just fits my hand better and points more naturally (very reminiscent of a Hi-Power), and I like the trigger reach better in both double and single action.  I think maybe if I filed and smoothed down the sharp hump on the backstrap of there S2, but didn't want to experiment so irreversibly.