Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm a new competition shooter and new to reloading, need some basi

trango

I've started doing some local club matches, mainly 'practical tactical' and some steel matches. The 'practical' matches are a combination of 1/2/or 3gun that changes each month. The main thing is that there's no power factor requirement.

I'm also starting to reload and need to order my bullets. As I'm just getting started, I'm using my stock XD40 4". I've read a lot about heavy and slow, or small and fast. What weight bullet should I look for to get a soft shooting load.

Also, what's a good source for cheap lead bullets? I've come accross MIssourri Bullet Co and Bayou Bullets

Thanks,

180 is fairly standard in .40. SOme do 200 some do 165 but I think the overwhelming majority do 180s. Do some reading on cast vs coated vs plated. MIssouri bullets are cheap and they ship super quick but they smoke like crazy and will require you to deal with leading in your barrel. I run 180 blue bullets over titegroup and love it. Search 40 loads and you will find a ton of loads and great info.

Allen, if there's no Power Factor requirement, take a very light bullet and

run it real slow - as slow as will cycle your gun.

That will be the lightest feeling load for your gun.

If you have to knock down steel, then you need a PF of 130-135, and then

you might look into very heavy bullets (180 or 200) with a very fast powder.

But, a .40 Minor is going to be pretty light in recoil no matter what you use.

Try a box of different weights and see what you prefer.

Problem right now isn't bullets - it's powder ...

Tough to find some powder suitable for what you want.

If you can spare 20 minutes look under Forum Reloading .40 and spend

a while reading old posts here at BE on how to reload .40 caliber.

Lot of it will be for .40 Major (loaded to PF 170 or so. You want to

look under .40 Minor (loaded to PF 135 or so. :cheers:

Lots of good advice - I'll throw in an idea or two:

1 - Given there's no power factor load what your gun likes and you like the feel of shooting. I'm working up loads with my M&P in minor (Using 180g bullets) and even though the minimum power factor for USPSA production is 125 I'm loading mine around 140 power factor because I like the way it feels. That's one great thing about reloading is you can experiment all you want until you find the right load that works for you.

2 - Buy a chronograph. That way you have numeric data to back up the results you get when you test fire you new loads.

3 - There are lots of great bullets out there. Take a look at Lucky 13, BBI, and my current favorite Bayou. You can get sample packs from them all to try various loads and bullet weights to find one that works for you.

If you're after light loads, lighter than factory ammo or the USPSA power factor, you are going to be limited by the really heavy captured spring in the 4" XD. You could change it out for a guide rod and Wolf spring, and that would allow for a little bit lighter loads. You'd be better off, all around, by trading it for a Tactical, XDM, or the newer XDM 5.25. But even with the other models, you are somewhat limited by the factory springs.

Lots of good advice - I'll throw in an idea or two:

1 - Given there's no power factor load what your gun likes and you like the feel of shooting. I'm working up loads with my M&P in minor (Using 180g bullets) and even though the minimum power factor for USPSA production is 125 I'm loading mine around 140 power factor because I like the way it feels. That's one great thing about reloading is you can experiment all you want until you find the right load that works for you.

2 - Buy a chronograph. That way you have numeric data to back up the results you get when you test fire you new loads.

3 - There are lots of great bullets out there. Take a look at Lucky 13, BBI, and my current favorite Bayou. You can get sample packs from them all to try various loads and bullet weights to find one that works for you.

any certain brand / model chronograph you suggest? im fairly new myself

any certain brand / model chronograph you suggest? im fairly new myself

I bought a basic Competition Electronics Prochrono from Amazon and it suits my needs just fine. It was a little over $100.

awesome, thanks very much!