Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do with published stages?

RammerJammer

I have heard people say they set them up or they want them so they can put them into their monthly match. I have no idea how you can do that and think you have an accurate representation sine most of the time the stages at monthly matches don't even look like the diagram.

I use them to see if there will be target presentations that I need to work on, tight partials at distance, SHO or WHO stuff, shooting positions that aren't normal, and starting positions that may be different.

Use them to decide if I want to shoot revolver or production is one thing I do with them. I also look for things I may have experienced in a stage before but I don't go overboard on planning how to shoot the stage until I'm actually at the match and seeing the stage I'll be shooting.

There are times that the stages design will be somewhat near the actual setup, but that is not guaranteed. As stated, if there is a unique start or strong / weak hand required, brushing up on those during practice will help.

BC

Mostly, I look at start positions. Unloaded off a table? Something weird with mags? Will I need to put in a little dryfire time so I'm comfortable with a weird start requirement?

Also, I tend to look for how many gimmicks there are, along with how much there might be a requirement for something like SHO or WHO while doing something else. (For example, this year's DoubleTap seems to indicate a number of SHO shots while holding on to a rope or cord of some sort, to open ports.)

Actually stage setup? Not so much. Points at which I know certain techniques will be required of me? Yep.

I print out the stages before attending a big match and bring them with me the first day I get there to leverage them while walking the stages. There are many big matches I have been to that don't have a written stage briefing posted the day you get there to walk the stages. If you don't know what the basic requirements are for the stage it's not very useful to try and figure out a stage plan. It really sucks when you don't have the stages printed out and there isn't one posted at the stage and you have to take a guess at what the start position is or if there are special requirements/limitations defined for the stage. If I have the printed stages in hand while walking the stage I at least have some idea what the start position or procedure is suppose to be. That of course only works of the printable stage details actually match what the physical one says when you get to the stage. I have seen many times were the posted stage gets magically changed before the start of the match. But that is a whole different discussion. Either way going to a big match with something is always better than going with nothing.

Had a whole bunch of stuff I was going to type but Cha-Lee said most of it.

They are a very useful tool for stage breakdown, particularly on memory-type stages. Can, easily, cut the breakdown time on match day by half in some cases, particularly shooting L10/Prod/Sstk.

I like seeing them beforehand but the stages are usually so much different in person that it's really nothing more than a rough guide to what i might see at the match.

Heck, even the starts differ many times once you get to the match (unloaded start, positions etc.)

Al

I use the stage diagrams to get an idea what the stage "style" will be. I don't expect that the stage will necessarily be close to the diagram, but getting the general idea helps when I get to the stage walkthrough.