Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Temp sensitivity N320?

jstagn

I was digging for exactly the same info mid-winter. The VV manual states their powders have a 1% velocity increase and 3% case pressure increase with each 18 degree (f) temperature increase. They don't specify a specific powder with this but rather leave it as a generalized statement -- perhaps because all of their powders share the same chemical basis.

I always see people say that N320 is not temp sensitive. i disagree 100% with my own first hand experience.

In my CZ SP01, every year, when the temp drops to about 30-40 degrees, I lose about 20-30 fps. ( compared to 70-80 degrees ).

my experience...

I live in central FL. A couple years ago I loaded my sons 9 minor loads with N320 at 129 PF (love that powder). I loaded my 9 major loads with Silhouette at 169-170 pf. Was at least in the 80's here temp-wise.

We went to the GA State match, and the morning we chrono'd, you could see your breath. He was 129 PF, I was 176. I'm a believer in the temp stability of N320 - at least for the areas I shoot in.

JimInFL

The VV manual states their powders have a 1% velocity increase and 3% case pressure increase with each 18 degree (f) temperature increase.

In my CZ SP01, every year, when the temp drops to about 30-40 degrees, I lose about 20-30 fps. ( compared to 70-80 degrees ).

Which is approximately the 1% velocity decrease every 18 degree decrease noted above.

The VV manual states their powders have a 1% velocity increase and 3% case pressure increase with each 18 degree (f) temperature increase.

Which is approximately the 1% velocity decrease every 18 degree decrease noted above.

No change in my experience that would put me in a bind, but then again I don't load to 125.9 PF. Maybe the change in temp affects your barrel too, slowing down the bullet.

Edited by Red Ryder

My personal experience with N320, shooting ten shot strings, is that the first rounds are always the slowest and the later rounds the fastest. I have always thought that the increase in velocity was related to the chamber and barrel heating up, and increased temperature due to heating of the subsequently chambered rounds.

I explained that to somebody who told me I was wrong, that the barrel heating caused expansion and therefore less friction to retard the bullet, but I would think you'd lose velocity because of gas blow by, but what do I know. I'll stick with round heating. ;^)

• 11 months later...

I always see people say that N320 is not temp sensitive. i disagree 100% with my own first hand experience.

My experience has been similar.... n310 is a bit better, but not enough to make me change.