Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines Don't Eject Smoothly

gr7070

I shoot a single stack, Springfield Loaded, 9mm, 9-rd, Metalform magazines.

During matches they commonly don't eject smoothly; I'll even pull them out at times as they haven't cleared the well by the time I'm ready to load them..

I'm curious if this is a mechanical issue, or a technique issue (gun not vertical or light pressure on eject button, other?).

Any thoughts, suggestions, common issues, etc.?

Edited by gr7070

Do you clean the inside of your magazine well? From the bottom all the way to the top? Gunk gets in there and will prevent the mags from falling out. Same goes with the magazines - clean them occasionally.

Easiest way to see what's happening is to unload, remove the slide, and slowly insert the mags while watching from the top to see where they rub. As mentioned, it could be a grip screw protruding or trigger contact or a slightly bent mag. Ive also had to take a little material off the mag release or the inside of the magwell to get mags to drop free.

Are these these the mags that have the ramp/lip built into the top of the mag? If so, the most forward part of the ramp/lip is extending too far and catching on the inside of the gun. It doesn't take much. I filed a tad off the front and it fixed it. Take a ruler of something straight and set it on the front of the magazine. This will show how far forward the ramp/lip is compared the the front of the mag.

Wow! I shouldn't be surprised that y'all have come up with a bunch of really good options to look into. Thanks!

I'm not sure if these mags have the lip you're talking about. They're essentially the only ones I use and not really familiar with others. They are the brands that Springfield sells.

Everything definitely needs to be cleaned (been a handful of matches), but I believe it does this clean as well.

It doesn't happen on every reload, so it could be an issue with a single magazine.

Will look at all the potential issues posted. Please post any others, I'll definitely explore them.

Edited by gr7070

Polish the inside of the magazine release along with removing any burs or unclean cuts in the slot in the magazines. with the slide off check that mags drop free. Mag well binding? may need blending. Stock magazine springs? remove a coil at a time till the release pressure feels good to you.

If magazines still feel sticky tape a piece of fine sand paper with the frame stripped lightly polish the inside of the magazine well.

While checking above make sure the magazine is not hitting the ejector with pressure on the bottom of the magazine, if so remove a little off the bottom of the ejector till you get clearance.

Edited by Bob DuBois

All good comments, but one I didn't see yet. With the gun and mag empty and the slide locked back, hit the mag release hard and hold it in. Does the mag drop freely or hang up? If it drops free, your mag catch is good to go. If it doesn't, gradually release the mag catch and see if the mag drops free as you release the pressure. If it does, what's most likely happening is that you're hitting the mag catch and the left side is impinging on the mag tube. When you release the catch, then the shelf for the notch is hitting the tube. You can't win either way.

One of two things is happening. Either the inside edge of the catch needs to be relieved slightly to clear the tube, or the slot in the mag catch for the lock is cut too deep. If the former, hitting it a few licks with a small Dremel sanding drum will take care of it. If the latter, take a small 3/32nd rod and cut .020-.030" off and place it in the bottom of the mag catch hole for enough reduction in travel to prevent the over travel on your mag catch which is interfering with your mags. FWIW, I have an Ed Brown catch that was cut too deep on the slot. Side by side comparison between it and my stock Dan Wesson catch revealed the problem.

Good luck!

Do you clean the inside of your magazine well? From the bottom all the way to the top? Gunk gets in there and will prevent the mags from falling out. Same goes with the magazines - clean them occasionally.

I don't clean the gun that often, but I'm sure I've had this problem with it clean.

Are there still rounds in the mag? Has the top round moved forward and is dragging on the inside of the frontstrap? If so, it could be weak mag springs.

This might be an option. However, I shoot idpa and very rarely reload when I'm not at slide lock. I'll keep an eye on this, but it's not too likely.

Are these these the mags that have the ramp/lip built into the top of the mag? If so, the most forward part of the ramp/lip is extending too far and catching on the inside of the gun. It doesn't take much. I filed a tad off the front and it fixed it. Take a ruler of something straight and set it on the front of the magazine. This will show how far forward the ramp/lip is compared the the front of the mag.

I don't think this is the issue.

**new info**

I've spent a decent amount of time inspecting, playing, checking. It's possible I might have found the issue. I appreciate all the help above, but none of the suggestions seem to be the issue.

Only way I can reproduce the same affect is if I ever so quickly press the mag release and the mag didn't eject quickly enough and it is held in the mag release.

I'm guessing I either don't press it quite long enough once in a while or maybe more likely the mag hits my vest or hand or something that stops the mag from falling and then is caught be the mag release.

This seems most likely at the moment.

I did buy some Dawson 10-rd mags and will see if the problem persists when I use them or only happens when I'm using the 9-rd Metalform.

Much thanks to all!!

Edited by gr7070

If you're only hitting the mag release very quickly and not holding it down, one option that may help is to snip a coil or two off the mag catch spring. Would make it easier to depress and the normal amount of pressure you use would likely open it further/longer.

I think this may help the problem. Thanks!

The mag release is going in far enough when depressed that it drags on the magazine. Extend the cut out on the left side 1/16 of an inch and it will make your problem go away.

While this could be the problem I suspect it's the opposite.

I have medium/small hands and have to adjust my grip to press the release. On the clock, once in a while, I suspect I'm not getting around enough to get enough pressure or maybe the mag hits clothing and doesn't drop all the way out before I release the button.

I'll explore pushing too far on it, but suspect that's not it???

Much thanks!

Edited by gr7070

All good comments, but one I didn't see yet. With the gun and mag empty and the slide locked back, hit the mag release hard and hold it in. Does the mag drop freely or hang up? If it drops free, your mag catch is good to go. If it doesn't, gradually release the mag catch and see if the mag drops free as you release the pressure. If it does, what's most likely happening is that you're hitting the mag catch and the left side is impinging on the mag tube. When you release the catch, then the shelf for the notch is hitting the tube. You can't win either way.

One of two things is happening. Either the inside edge of the catch needs to be relieved slightly to clear the tube, or the slot in the mag catch for the lock is cut too deep. If the former, hitting it a few licks with a small Dremel sanding drum will take care of it. If the latter, take a small 3/32nd rod and cut .020-.030" off and place it in the bottom of the mag catch hole for enough reduction in travel to prevent the over travel on your mag catch which is interfering with your mags. FWIW, I have an Ed Brown catch that was cut too deep on the slot. Side by side comparison between it and my stock Dan Wesson catch revealed the problem.

Good luck!

This one gets my vote.