Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC Frame Weight

troupe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought one last week for my glock 24.

Shot it last saturday at club match.

Had to get use to the extra weight (5.7 ozs.) out front.

It does reduce muzzle flip.

I've been dry firing it every day this week to get back my draw/transition speed.

I'll be using my glock 35 top end tomorrow (same frame i use for glock 24)

35 is a little lighter than 24 even with weight.

Dry firing the 24 with weight to build up muscles, but using 35 with same weight to shoot match.

Comparing 24 with weight to 35 with same weight in match conditions.

Will decide after this weekend which one feels/performs better.

Frame has Dawson heavy brass mag well.

Both slides have full length tungsten guide rods.

Limited major

Also had to alter GHOST holster to fit weight.

Edited by sweetback

Thanks for the reply. Would like to hear more about the recoil reduction. I know that it is simple physics, but it is not very attractive. What type of holster do you use. Who done your Bomar cut ?

Just got back from USPSA match.

Recoil with all up weight (Taylor Freelance +5 Brass extension) and 21 rds. of .40 ammo (maj.)

it felt like a 9mm.

And no it ain't pretty. BUT it works. Another competitor who has one on his open glock .40 had his coated black.

It blends in better with the gun. I am using a GHOST open holster. Bomar sight was put on by EGW in Pennsylvania.

I like the feel of the 35 top end a little better. Maybe it cycles faster. Have to shoot it in a few more matches, before i finally decide.

Edited by sweetback

Thanks for the reply back. I may have to try one. I like a heavy gun. I have a light and laser combo that would add about 4.6 oz. I may try that first just to feel the difference. George at EGW has been around a long time and has done many great things for the sport.

I noticed Tori was shooting one on her glock. want to say she was using a Ghost, since it only locked up on the trigger guard. Cant remember where I saw the pic. but it jumped out at me and took a minute to figure out WHAT she had mounted on there!

You can reduce it down some. The Jentra was a gigantic chunk of metal that I reduced down to something like 2.5 ounces before selling this Open gun. It only had 2 set screws, if you over-tightened the dust cover would start to bend up and bind on the slide.

Johnnie's design is much better for attaching to the dust cover. Painting it black sounds like a good idea. These days you can get a bigger, heavier, prettier magwell too.

post-354-0-46874800-1394724976_thumb.jpg post-354-0-67972600-1394724993_thumb.jpg

Just bought one last week for my glock 24.

Shot it last saturday at club match.

Had to get use to the extra weight (5.7 ozs.) out front.

It does reduce muzzle flip.

I've been dry firing it every day this week to get back my draw/transition speed.

I'll be using my glock 35 top end tomorrow (same frame i use for glock 24)

35 is a little lighter than 24 even with weight.

Dry firing the 24 with weight to build up muscles, but using 35 with same weight to shoot match.

Comparing 24 with weight to 35 with same weight in match conditions.

Will decide after this weekend which one feels/performs better.

Frame has Dawson heavy brass mag well.

Both slides have full length tungsten guide rods.

Limited major

Also had to alter GHOST holster to fit weight.

At the end of 3/8/14 uspsa match at Mid Carolina, I asked a shooter with a 2011 limited gun (.40) with extended dust cover to heft both guns (empty), and tell me which felt heavier.

He said the Glock 35 with weight was heavier.

The weight in the Glocks are in the slide, which is where you dont want it . You need the weight in the nonreciprocating parts for the gun to shoot flatter. The design of the Glock will only allow so light a slide then you run into reliability issues.

Maybe I did not explain it well enough in what I was saying. What I meant is the majority of the weight in a Glock is in the slide. The weight needs to be in the frame, barrel, guide rod, any non moving parts. Sorry for the confusion. Not sure how it sounded like I was talking about adding weight to a slide.

Got the tracking number for mine today so it will be installed before the weekend. All I need now is some good weather and I will be smoking them up this weekend.

A little note on installation. You will have to drill 2 set screw indentations in the small mounting plate that is inserted through the slot across the dust cover. The reason for this is the set screws will not hold the the weight securely after you fire the gun. It will work itself loose. After i slipped the weight on the dust cover and got everything lined up, remove the 2 set screws that are used and with a drill bit that is smaller than the set screw holes, carefully drill in the center till you see metal shavings come out. Just a small indentation is all it takes and set screws will hold weight on securely.

Edited by sweetback

I received mine on Saturday and installed it just before practice. Yes, this thing works like a charm! It makes a big difference in the amount of muzzle flip when shooting at 170 PF. I will have to get used to the extra weight but I really like the way the gun feels with it installed.

Glock2.jpg

Glock1.jpg