Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Incorrect car data

Poppa Bear

While on the road today I lost my serpentine belt when the tensioner pulley froze up. OK not a problem other than it being about 20 miles out of town. Wife picked me up and I bought a new pulley and serpentine belt. Pulley goes on just fine but I cannot get the serpentine belt to wrap around all of the pulleys. It is about 1" to short. Drive back into town to see about getting a longer belt or see if I managed to get the wrong one due to some sort of numbering error.

Auto store pulls out their manual and verifies that the belt is correct and then they turn to the proper page which shows the correct pattern for installing the belt. That is not the pattern displayed under the hood of my car. I draw out the pattern I was using and they match it up to the pattern used by the 5.0L V-8. My car has a V-6 engine. Apparently the data sticker under my hood is for the V-8 engine. They must of built it on a Monday or a Friday. :angry2::angry2:

Original engine and parts. Bought it used but knew its history and owner. Diagram is located on the drivers side fender well.

Reverse the position of the idler and the tensioner and all other parts are in the same location.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Original engine and parts. Bought it used but knew its history and owner. Diagram is located on the drivers side fender well.

Reverse the position of the idler and the tensioner and all other parts are in the same location.

Okay then! The stuff I have witness with thirty years in the business has me less than shocked any more. I have had factory wiring diagrams that were wrong, transplant cars (flex fuel engine replaced with standard used motor) and on and on. Yes the factory messes up too. Makes for a fun day, especially when a client has been given a pick up time.........

Hope it's not an interference type engine so there are no bent valves.

Shouldn't be an issue for that motor. Your thinking of a timing belt. This serpentine belt is an accessory drive belt on the front of the engine.