Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have the Burris AR-1X

Nuke8401

Ok, I've got about 500rds down range with this scope mounted on my 308 race gun. The circle and center dot are great for drawing the eye. This is important for any gun, but especially for 308, because with the additional muzzle movement, any reticle can be tough to track. In fact my only complaint with the prismatic was that the movement of the double circle was sometimes distracting. The burris single circle is just right. The two horizontal stadia are perfect for knowing you are horizontal. Today I shot everything from point blank and really fast stuff to popping clays at 35yds (offhand), to 100 yard steel, to proned out gunning between 200 and 500yds.. Everything was quick and easy with the exception of 300-350yd steel. The center dot was a little too big and covered too much of the 12" plate at these distances. On the flip side, 400, 500 and 600 were childs play and I found the BDC stadia highly effective, even in the 20mph cross wind today. I agree that the reticle is too cluttered and the numbers are just plain silly, but I was able to execute most tasks easily. This is because of the other attributes the scope has. The glass is very clear and the eye box is forgiving, making it very easy to get behind the glass and settle into the reticle. It is also possible to adjust the focus for a very sharp reticle.

I've seen James' reticle design and it will certainly clear up the needling details I don't like about this reticle but I can still recommend this one for beginners or someone who has been considering trying out Limited division but is apprehensive about the learning curve required for hitting distant targets without a BDC. The illumination is Eotech bright and you get your choice of green or red. I don't know when or even if we will see James' reticle, but as it stands today, it covers most bases and is tough to beat for the price.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine didn't last 1 session and already got sent back to Optics Planet.

Bad things:

1. I found the mount to be horrible. The optic would slide back and forth on a rail until I literally used a socket to tighten it down. I can't imagine the optic returning close to zero if I had to remove it and with the way the optic is designed, you can't just wrap a Larue around it.

2. During site in, I was hitting 6" low. I would make a few clicks, and the poi wouldn't change. I would make a few more clicks and nothing. Then after a few more clicks, the poi would jump to be 12" high. After going through 50-60 rounds, I was pissed. Fortunately I was also function testing a new rifle build so I had to run some rounds through it anyway. Note to self: Get a .223 laser boresight.

3. I hated the reticle. Way too busy with the numbers.

Good things:

1. I really like the illumination. Having the option to go between black/red/green is cool when match directors keep switching up target colors. I hated running my Prismatic on black targets as the illumination wasn't really daylight visible but running a red dot on orange targets at 3 gun nation sucked as well.

2. The center dot was nice and crisp.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, the optic is good, but I think all of the Team Burris shooters that have a good amount of time behind them want a less cluttered reticle. I have asked what the timeline is to get a new reticle, which James Casanove designed for this optic. When I get an answer, will update. .

Just won a 1/2 off certificate, how long should I wait for the less cluttered reticle?

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I've never used a prism sight) but can irons co witness through it, or do the lenses make that a no go? I tried doing a quick search online but the answers were all over the place with some indicating that it can be done with the AR-1x but not other prisms. Thanks, J

FWIW, the optic is good, but I think all of the Team Burris shooters that have a good amount of time behind them want a less cluttered reticle. I have asked what the timeline is to get a new reticle, which James Casanove designed for this optic. When I get an answer, will update. .

Just won a 1/2 off certificate, how long should I wait for the less cluttered reticle?

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

Those certs usually have a end date, i dont think we'll see a new reticle this year to be honest.

Edited by DocMedic

I guess I am the odd man out. I think the optic is fantastic. The mount when torqued to the manual specified 85in# stays put and is solid.

The reticle is not too busy for me. Top of center dot is 200 and bottom is 350. The 400 stadia is good enough for me to keep 80% on a 10" plate

at that distance and I can hit our 8" at 450 more often than I or my practice partner can with a Eotech.

I guess I am the odd man out. I think the optic is fantastic. The mount when torqued to the manual specified 85in# stays put and is solid.

The reticle is not too busy for me. Top of center dot is 200 and bottom is 350. The 400 stadia is good enough for me to keep 80% on a 10" plate

at that distance and I can hit our 8" at 450 more often than I or my practice partner can with a Eotech.

Where do you hold on a skinny Sammy at 100ish?

Thanks

Top of the dot on the widest part of the sammy. Not enough difference between 100 and 200.

Keep in mind it is generally the 'scope" guys that make shooting rifle so difficult.

Running irons for a decade or three and you learn...

"what you need to see and where you need to hold to hit what you want to hit."

I watched James Cassanova destroy us "optics" guys handily with this reticle at the SMM3G a couple weeks ago (of course he would still beat us with a 10/22 and iron sights). If I ever make the switch to tactical this is the optic I would use hands down and I'm stongly considering making the switch since the prize table is so much faster than tac optics. I would never consider using my aimpoint or my work eotech for 3 gun just for the fact there is so much room in that reticle and the burris gives you a ton of reference points for distance shooting. I've also had the prismatic and it was nice but I think the burris beats them all hands down. Grab the Istrelok app and get to shooting with that bad boy.

JF

This optic, while just now available to retailers, is selling like hotcakes and it has a 1st, 2nd and 3rd at SMM3G as well as a few other top threes at regionals. That is a pretty spiffy "out of the gate" performance. I could never shoot a Pris or Irons well, but I seem to be able to run this one without much of an issue.

My contact at Burris, and his wife, just had their first child, so I am sure he is swamped, or will be when he comes back. But I will talk to him again about the timeline on an alternative reticle when I get a chance.

Thanks Pat....I already felt like a tool for my performance at the SMM3G. Seriously though nice shooting, I'm inspired after that match to stop being a lazy three gunner and get into the game. Also Mark thank you for all the tips and advice at the SMM3G like I told you I just look for your posts and copy whatever gear you say I should get. I just need to get the whole shooting part down.

JF

That Rhino rifle is amazing. I mean I have shot and built a bunch of AR's, but something about this one is special.

It really shoots soft and flat! Having tested a bunch of comps, I figured I would at least change out the factory one...but HECK NO

I am not changing a thing! (well I did remove the ambi safety lever from the right side) I love this carbine!

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month has gone by since any activity in this thread so I thought I'd chime in with the fact that I was on the phone to Leupold yesterday and informed the Prismatic is being discontinued. This should pave the way for Burris to own the Irons / Limited / Factory market if they come up with a kickass reticle. I recommend a simple crosshair with hash MIL hash marks or MOA increments every 3-4 MOA going down to 20-21 MOA. Simple, clean, quick and precise. This is something I have been trying to get Leupold to do for 2 years but oh well, now I'm waiting on Burris like the rest of ya's.

The AR1X is already being improved and James reticle design is slated to be available very late this year or early 2016. Love working with a company that listens to the consumers and is flexible enough to make changes.

The AR1X is already being improved and James reticle design is slated to be available very late this year or early 2016. Love working with a company that listens to the consumers and is flexible enough to make changes.

Glad to hear this info and thanks, as I've been thinking of playing in Limited/Factory in the future.

Glad to hear this info and thanks, as I've been thinking of playing in Limited/Factory in the future.

I just picked up an AR1X for my SBR build, but also thought of throwing it on my competition rifle to try Limited. I haven't shot it yet, but I think it looks good..

4nbwJSe.jpg

I'm wondering when the new reticle is available, I should be able to send back to Burris to replace no?

Edit: Added picture.

Edited by HeyChris

Worth asking them, although might be just as much a financial wash to buy the newer version and flip yours on ARF or something, assuming the newer reticle appeals significantly enough to you.

Edited by AustinWolv

RIP prismatic. I still love mine, but a few horizontal stadia would have been killer.

That Rhino rifle is amazing. I mean I have shot and built a bunch of AR's, but something about this one is special.

It really shoots soft and flat! Having tested a bunch of comps, I figured I would at least change out the factory one...but HECK NO

I am not changing a thing! (well I did remove the ambi safety lever from the right side) I love this carbine!

Are you still using CMC triggers?