Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 lswc

usmc90

setting up for a 200 grn. LSWC using W231 ..from the hogdon/winchester site load data it gives an OAL of 1.225"

Having set up the first round that looks like it has alot of "set back" in the case..what do you all think...BTW im going to be around 5.1 grns

sorry bought the crappy cell pics

post-46839-0-68075800-1393988144_thumb.j

post-46839-0-12196100-1393988221_thumb.j

post-46839-0-00922100-1393988293_thumb.j

Edited by usmc90

Another thing, i've been loading 230grn LRN and wanted to know if you could leave the crimp die alone..the pics above it had not been through the crimoing die..

I'm using the carbon Dillon 3 die set-up..

My 200gr LSWC OAL is 1.249 and there is about a thumbnails worth (of the square shoulder) protruding from the case mouth and I have never had a problem with the gun cycling.

These look like the original Hensley & Gibbs #68 and there are several variations out there.

1.250 is a good starting point. Pull the barrel out of your pistol and use is as an ammo gauge. Start with the rounds a little long. When the round goes "Plunk" and the back end of the round is even with the edge of the barrel hood extension you are good to go.

Here is a link to a discussion about this on the 1911 forum. You need to be registered to see the pictures. --> http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=256495

My load is 5.0 gr 231 for a 200 gr lswc but like stevera, I have about a thumbnail of bullet shoulder protruding in front of the case neck whereas yours look like the shoulder is flush.

Congratulations, especially if your shooting it through a 1911. VV-N310, TG, 231 or any fast powder with the bullet loaded long is a winner! I shoot laser cast 200 gr SWC, 4.5 VVN310, OAL 1.245, crimp of .68 and consistently shoot 1 inch groups out of several 1911s from a rest...around 840-850 fps....hard to shoot anything else. I shoot the identical load with plated SWC for indoor range with almost same accuracy...

Glad you got it worked out. Your 1st images definitely looked like the bullets were seated too deeply. Loaded at near 2.25 OAL and around 5 gr of 231 makes an accurate and pleasant to shoot round in my 1911s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OP's pictures show a SWC that is seated too deeply. There should be at least 1/32" of the shoulder above the case mouth. With lead bullets, you can seat such that the case head is flush with the barrel ramp (i.e., just shoulder just touching the lede/rifling and the case head just touching the breech face for minimum head space) for best accuracy.