Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At home kit for custom ear plugs?

gixxerjunky

I am located in Wichita Falls, TX and am wanting to get a set of custom ear plugs made. Problem is that I'm in Wichita Falls and don't know anyone that does them. I called a local hearing clinic and was told $200 for a basic pair and a 3 week wait. Well that doesn't please me too much.

Any advice or anyone know of a place?

I tried a pair of the Radian at home plugs (available from Cabela's) and found them to be OK. A few months later, I got a custom set made at a match. I quickly realized why the custom made plugs cost a little more. Better noise reduction. The lady making the custom plugs inserted a foam stop further back in each ear canal, and she was therefore able to force more material into the ear canal when molding the plugs. The custom molded plugs cost $50, and took about 15 minutes to set up.

Edited by cuzinvinny

If you do get a custom pair made and you want the maximum noise reduction, tell the maker to put the stopper as far in your ear as you can stand. Tell them to not stop until you tell them to. Also, when they are injecting the material, hold your jaw to the position right about where your ears pop and hold it there as long as you can while the material sets. That opens your ear canal a little bit larger than normal. It will make a huge difference.

Just be warned, they will work really well. I cannot RO or take score with my plugs made like this. I take them out and use my electronic muffs after I shoot.

My wife used to make custom plugs. I was her guinea pig for a while. We learned a few little tricks along the way.

I also tried a set of the Radian at home plugs I got through Midway USA. Best think about those was they only cost about $10.00. Like Cusinvinny said, they were "OK" and I used them until I went to a match that had someone making them. If done correctly, the custom plugs work much better and filter a lot more sound.

I'm getting a set made from 2 guys called 2 brothers custom ear plugs. They are out of Duncan Oklahoma and I called them to see if they had a store front. Tim got on the phone and told me that he would come to Wichita Falls this weekend and hook me up with a pair for a low price. Tim told me that they usually post up at gun shows and some matches around Oklahoma.

I was not expecting for someone to come to me to make them but that's service right there. I'm sore he has other business here but still was an awesome gesture.

I'll update once I receive them.

I have used the Radians twice. The first time didn't work to well. What I learned by getting them again, was that I didn't make the first ones to go deep enough into the ear canal. The second pair has worked great, I'm like one of the previous guys posted. They work so well I have to pull them out a littel to be able to do scorekeeping.

I have used the Radians twice. The first time didn't work to well. What I learned by getting them again, was that I didn't make the first ones to go deep enough into the ear canal. The second pair has worked great, I'm like one of the previous guys posted. They work so well I have to pull them out a littel to be able to do scorekeeping.

Same experience here. First time I made them they worked ok. Second time pushed them a little deeper and they work great. I can wear them all day and forget that they are in.

Has anyone been able to get their insurance to pay for a set of custom electronic plugs?

Is that a perk of Obamacare?

Dunno, don't have it.

Me neither but I'll be plenty pissed if Im paying for someone else's plugs! Lol

If you really want a set of Hear-Pro plugs I can have Brad send me the supplies to make them. I just moved from Birmingham to Keller, TX so I'm not that far away from Wichita Falls. PM me if you are interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Wish I could go the molded route, but I have behind the ear type hearing aids. At $4400 a pair I dont like taking them in and out especially in a dusty environment like a shooting range. I asked my audiologist if he had any ideas where I could leave in my aids but have molded plugs. This way I can kill the sound to my hearing aids (via my phone as there Bluetooth enabled) and shoot away. If anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears....pun intended.

I used the  Radian home custom once for a couple years.  They work ok and are comfortable.

I'm using Wild Ears now.  It's a home fit kit that you form and send to them to make the plugs.  They have been really nice so far, I started using them this spring.

3m Combat Arms 4.1. Just got these and so far so good I will report once I wear to the range, but seem pretty effective and very comfortable. And the best part $34 shipped. Half of that shipping from the UK. Report coming soon. The things fit great and the toggle switch is easy. 71346598661fb3042a69d391c1240c3c.jpg72b4f1ea1850f5f3bf0636ab6075987c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk