Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time using ESP Elite Digital: disappointed

SpankYa

I shot an outdoor USPSA match today. Put in my cool new ESP Digital Elite ear protection that I hadn't had a chance to try since picking them up due to the rain.

While I waited my turn, they didn't attenuate the gun shots as much as I expected and had to switch back to my Pro-Ears before it was my turn to shoot. I am hoping that getting them resized/ remade will solve the problem, but as they are now, there's no way I can shoot with them.

I confirmed with they were in all the way and were properly seated. Anyone else have a similar problem and had to have them remolded?

Lester

I have them but really only use them for bird hunting. Plug style protectors just don't reduce sound pressure enough for me with noisy open guns. I don't think remolding will help unless they did a really bad job the first time

Thanks for the feedback. I just went back to the audiologist. Per recommendation by Jack (ESP) we're redoing the mold using a bite block. It keeps the mouth open during the creation of the impression. For some people, when the jaw is closed it presses up on the ear canal so he wants the impression done with mouth open.

Will report back in two weeks.

• 3 months later...

Open mouth can help. I would redo molds with silicone material. Sounds to me like you have too much gain. Did you have any way to adjust the volume? Who did the first mold?

They were done by a local audiologist in Orange County. We redid them with a bite block with little improvement. The right one just would wiggle out with movement. I got a pair of Instamold plugs this past weekend at a match and they seal really well.

Lester

I had some ESP digital plugs made and ended up returning them. Like you, they did not attenuate enough sound until I turned the volume off. That defeats the purpose IMHO. Also, check the NRR, and decibel rating. They don't cut out like many of the electronic muffs. Wasn't worth the $$ to me, so I returned them. Purchased a plane jane molded plug from hear pro, and have been much happier.