Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA with PPQ 4" or 5"

brianr34

I recently rented a Walther PPQ 4" at the range and I was surprised how nice the trigger was. The gun felt good and was very accurate.

Only negative is recoil was more than my Glock 34 or even a Glock 19.

Curious on if anyone has feedback on using the PPQ 4" or 5" in IDPA. Seems like the trigger and accuracy would be good, but not sure how quick follow up shots are because of the recoil.

The PPQ Classic (lever magazine release) has been legal for IDPA for some time. I was told by a Walther official that the approval of the M2 (button magazine release) was obtained for IDPA. Under the old IDPA rule book, the PPQ was an ESP pistol. It is an SSP pistol under the new rule book.

The PPQ Classic (paddle magazine release) is on the approved list for Production in USPSA. Neither the PPQ M2 4 inch nor the PPQ M2 5 inch (button magazine release) are legal for Production despite numerous requests to Walther to get the M2's added to the approved list for Production.

Edited by Kearsage

• 3 weeks later...

I have to imagine that Walther will at least get the 5 inch M2 added to the list once they sell more of them. When I played with one at the NRA show last year they told me all about how they want to sell it to the competition market, seeing as other companies have had a lot of success with out-of-the-box competition guns.

Been shooting the 4in M1 for two seasons now. With a good thumbs-forward grip there is little recoil to slow you down. Keep in mind it's a polymer gun, not an EAA or CZ. 124gr or heavier bullets help to mitigate the snap as well. Overall the PPQ is great gun that I love competing with.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the 4 or 5" would be great for IDPA or USPSA production. Awesome trigger and while the recoil is more "snappy", it cycles quickly and the sights settle quickly. The reset is only like .10" so you can do double taps like no other.

If you put some sandpaper type grip tape (skate tape) on it you can really control the recoil with no problem..........

here's a cool video on the PPQ if you haven't seen it.........somewhere in there is a guy doing triple taps!

• 3 months later...

I have to imagine that Walther will at least get the 5 inch M2 added to the list once they sell more of them. When I played with one at the NRA show last year they told me all about how they want to sell it to the competition market, seeing as other companies have had a lot of success with out-of-the-box competition guns.

And ... done!

Walthers on USPSA production list

"P1 (28 oz.), P38 (34 oz.), P5 (28 oz.), P88 (31.5 oz.), P88 Compact (29 oz.), P99 (25 oz.), P99AS (25 oz.), P99C (20 oz.), P99DAO (20 oz.), P99QA (20 oz.), PPQ .40cal 4.17 barrel (24.87 oz.), PPQ 9mm 4.01 barrel (24.52 oz.), PPQ M2 .40 cal barrel 4.1 inch (24.52 oz.), PPQ M2 9mm barrel 4 inch (24 oz.), PPQ M2 9mm barrel 5 inch (24 oz.)"