Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Soot Marks on 38SC Brass

Ssanders224

My GF was shooting her new Open gun today, and I noticed some strange marks on the brass.

You can see a hard burn line on one side, and even a small mark in the extractor groove. Also, the brass is bulging an good bit right around the mark.

The load is 3n38 behind a PD 124 jhp. 1.248 length, and just barely making Major.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks in advance.

48D0A31A-0588-40C7-A78F-32F2F5055402-361

I don't know about the soot, and the pictures don't show bulging very well.

If the brass is bulging, without other pressure signs, the chamber may have been hogged out. Time to talk with the smith about replacing the barrel, and doing it right.

That doesn't look like much of a bulge to me. I've seen much worse on relatively new pistols. Your chamber may have been reamed to enhance feeding reliability.

3n38 is one of the slowest powders so it's probably not a pressure issue.

Resize the brass. If it chambers, I wouldn't worry about it.

I often see that that kind of soot with 3n38 at about the same load, no issues so far. For a thread on bulging see http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=157732&hl=bulge#entry1764107

I bought a Case-Pro so I could keep my brass in top shape, however with the bulging I described in that thread the Case-Pro has very little to no effect & @ 10+ relaods on new Starline brass I have no feeding or extracting issues.