Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 gauge 100

Howdy, all!

I am interested in setting up a 20 gauge autoloader for my wife to use in 3gun competitions.  Currently I am dallying with the idea of using an old style 1100 20 gauge Remington, which was built using a 12 gauge size receiver.

I have found a used shotgun.  I have been told by a Choate rep. that the 12 gauge extended mag tube with work with 20 gauge shells.

I was told this a.m., however, by my gunsmith that parts for this older model shotgun may not be available should breakage occur.

Has anyone here used the old-style 20 gauge 1100 as a platform for a comp. shotgun, and can you shed any light on the parts problem?

Thanks in advance!

Andy C.

Andrew:

Call Benni Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports in Corpus Christy TX. He built one awhile back and would know all about them.                                     KURT

Kurt, I called Benny as soon as I got your post.  Thanks for the tip!

Benny, I'm very interested in the 20 you and I discussed, but now I'm a little torn.  I've been told by a lot of folks that an auto 12 is a pussycat in the recoil department, and that my wife would have no trouble handling one.

Is there any factor other than recoil I should consider?  Is the Rem. 12 any more or less reliable than the Rem. 20?  I'm familiar with payload and accessory issues, so I'm just concerned with functionality and recoil.

Thanks!

Andy Colglazier

One of the locals is a 20 ga. 1100 guy and he won't use anything but the model built on the full size 12 ga. I think because it takes most of the full size parts and there are no 3-gun accessories for the LT20 size gun.

He doesn't have any problems taking down steel.

the LT 20 is lighter so is better for a lady. everyone has seen the full size 1100's not work all the time. I have been shooting the LT 20 for 3 yr's. & have had no failures. Mag. ext.'s are made for them. 9 rd. side saddles, & with a dead mule recoil reducer & a decellarater pad it is like shooting a 10/22