Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
michael1778

Soliciting Recommendations for a 6mm Creedmoor rifle to 1000 yds

Michael there are a ton of options when choosing caliber action or make for a competition rifle . zero to six hundred yards .223 to.277 calibers do a fine job. If u want to be able to reach out to the one thousand yard mark accurately, I would be more inclined to go with .284 / 7mm through .338 calibers. There are a number of conditions that come into play at that range. First is ballistic coeficient of the bullet you are using. Next spin drift, then bullet drop, being able to compensate for wind drift. To be truly accurate. Having deep pockets also helps because your gonna spend a boat load. Good luck with whatever you choose. My personal favorite is a Springfield M1A super match 7.62x51 or .308 whatever you like to call it, topped with a custom bulllet drop compensating turret scope.

Michael- GAP has a 6.5creed available on their ready to ship page. 6.5 may be better starting point if you don't reload rifle. Can always put a 6 creed or 6 XC bbl on it down the road when bbl goes south. From my research you're not gaining anything in the wind w/ 6creed over 6.5creed, just less elevation and little less recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael, your words are kind. Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut, so luck was running with me a little bit that day. Also just letting you know, the check's in the mail, so it should be to you by about Tuesday. Talk to you soon about going to PHA.

Michael, your words are kind. Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut, so luck was running with me a little bit that day. Also just letting you know, the check's in the mail, so it should be to you by about Tuesday. Talk to you soon about going to PHA.

Having a solid zero at a reasonable distance helps. :-)

To the main topic of my original post, I'm taking a go slow approach. I don't reload, but am not against the idea.

I may only do long range matches once in a while. I will measure my interest, consider my financial position at that time in the future, and decide on a course of action the.

I appreciate all the discussion, so far. It has been educational and helpful.

Edited by michael1778

Hey Michael, Woody here. Lots of great suggestion above. Since I have held these matches for 5 years I know I can help steer you in the right direction. Seen all of the things above mentioned. The good, bad ,and ugly. Call me you know how to reach me. To much to type and it's a little easier for me to help over the phone. If you are not planning to shoot 5-3-14 at my match. Would be a great time to check out guns.

Hey Michael, Woody here. Lots of great suggestion above. Since I have held these matches for 5 years I know I can help steer you in the right direction. Seen all of the things above mentioned. The good, bad ,and ugly. Call me you know how to reach me. To much to type and it's a little easier for me to help over the phone. If you are not planning to shoot 5-3-14 at my match. Would be a great time to check out guns.

Awesome. Thank you for your kind offer. I'm registered for the DMM. Did the range day recently and got a chance to see a few rigs. I'll be calling, for sure. Would love to hear your thoughts in detail.

Michael- GAP has a 6.5creed available on their ready to ship page.

That's a really nice rifle, BTW.

Michael- GAP has a 6.5creed available on their ready to ship page.

That's a really nice rifle, BTW.

No doubt. Seems sweet and from a top flight maker. But I don't have that money in hand right now. I need to sell off a bunch of nice gear that I have that I no longer use, then I can see how much of that I can put toward these items. Money got tighter this year. :-(

Michael,

I also will be running 6mm creedmoor. Here's the bolt-action choices I'm going with:

stiller spectre action,

fixed 10x scope, US optics, mil turrets & reticle

bobro mount

xlr chassis

atlas bipod

timney trigger

26" barrel (no brake) ( have not found a 1 in 7" .243 barrel manufacture yet though)

you should need about 500 shells to have 400 in the middle of the bell curve spread of case-weight. also be sure to load to less than 3200 velocity. the outliers you can use for barrel coppering, scope leveling, turret tracking, etc.

After my experience with the Designated Marksman Match today, I think I will shelve the idea of a bolt gun until at least 2015. Maybe even into 2016. All depends on my skill development. That is the part that needs the immediate work!

I will table the idea and any further discussion until next year.

I'll save my phone call with Woody until I'm closer to the time. I might do an AR15 upper in something like 6.5 Grendel (or a wildcat if I start reloading) as a means to cut down the effects of wind. But, I may try better 223 ammo as an interim solution for the next DMM in August.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts on this topic. It has been very helpful and I will consider the recommendations next year. :-)

-- Mike

If you are trying to figure out what he is saying....... We got our asses handed to us by other shooters and Mother Nature too! For those of you who do not know me, I'm a sore loser, so I've already been on the phone with JP! Hey, if I'm going to stink up the range, I'm going to look good doing it! Michael, quit worrying about your kids and family, your PhD and all that other non essential stuff and get your priorities straight and go buy that GAP! (And if you must know, we came in 44 out of 76. Not to shabby for our first long range match. But I don't like finishing in the bottom half of anything. Please don't bother me. I'm at the range practicing! :) "

If you are trying to figure out what he is saying....... We got our asses handed to us by other shooters and Mother Nature too! For those of you who do not know me, I'm a sore loser, so I've already been on the phone with JP! Hey, if I'm going to stink up the range, I'm going to look good doing it! Michael, quit worrying about your kids and family, your PhD and all that other non essential stuff and get your priorities straight and go buy that GAP! (And if you must know, we came in 44 out of 76. Not to shabby for our first long range match. But I don't like finishing in the bottom half of anything. Please don't bother me. I'm at the range practicing! :) "

You're killing me! :cheers:

Oh you better tell me about that JP phone call. I used the Rifle Builder and have a 6.5 Creedmoor 22" LRP-07 design ready to drop to manufacturing. Problem is that I don't have much of the cash to actually pay for it. Anyway, I'm dying to know more and I'll contact you directly. Another idea I had was a stock DPMS LR-65 and then modify it over time.

I do agree that we were hampered by not having "enough gun" for some of the stages. Experience and the like will certainly help, but we were under-gunned on at least two of the stages that I recall. We need to be able to buck the variable wind better. :angry:

After my experience with the Designated Marksman Match today, I think I will shelve the idea of a bolt gun until at least 2015.

This has been mentioned but generally speaking, for a given level of precision, you will generally pay less for a bolt gun than a semi-auto. That's not to say you can't go hog wild with either one, mind you. This is particularly true when you get into the AR10 calibers.

Depending on the distances and targets you are shooting, you might be able to shoot a 6.5 Grendel. As you know, it's a lot cheaper to build and if you already have a decent AR15 you can build a second upper for a heck of a lot less than a whole new gun.

Edited by Graham Smith

Graham,

Thank you for your new comments.

DMM events are out to 600 yards and shot in a time plus penalty format similar to 3-gun matches around here. The longer Precision events can have targets over 900.

For just the DMM events, I've been looking at a 6.5 Grendel upper to build for my existing AR15 competition lower, but I haven't found too many barrels yet. I may be looking in the wrong places. Also, when configuring a JP factory upper in 6.5 Grendel, I get pricing more expensive than a complete DPMS LR-65 gun in Creedmoor.

When considering a full 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun that could be good for both DMM and the longer range events, I was window shopping for a complete gun to start my investigation. Looks like JP, GAP (far too long a wait), Triangle Shooting Sports, and DPMS are about the only makers I've found.

Making my own (by way of my local smith) seems at least as hard because of limited component selection and availability. Barrel wise, I only see JP, Criterion (too long and heavy), and DPMS as my "off the shelf" options. I will talk to my smith about him doing a custom barrel, I suppose.

Am I missing some important barrel vendors in either 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor? I was thinking like you that build your own can lead to savings but the components may be limited runs and not as economical on a per part basis? I'm puzzled about availability, so far. Thanks again!

Not sure of the turn around, but you can get a good 20" Grendel barrel and matching bolt from Shilen for about $450. One of the advantages of the second upper is that you can use a lower that you are already familiar and comfortable with and can usually create an upper that's close in feel to your .223 upper.

Peacemaker in WV hosts a monthly Long Range match followed by a Designated Marksman Rifle match. Both are over natural terrain, the first goes out to 1000+ yards and the latter to 600yards. Not too far away from you.

Peacemaker in WV hosts a monthly Long Range match followed by a Designated Marksman Rifle match. Both are over natural terrain, the first goes out to 1000+ yards and the latter to 600yards. Not too far away from you.

Monthly? Good to know, thanks. B)

Graham, thank you for the direction to another vendor (Shilen). I had forgotten their name. Once you mentioned them I was kicking myself for that.

Edited by michael1778

I think for the PRS style matches you are wanting to shoot the 6cm is the best choice out right now. Over the past few prs seasons I have over from the 6.5's to the 6cm. I'm now in my 3rd 6creedmoor barrel and have more ready to go so I'm not changing calibers anytime soon. Im getting 2500ish rounds on a barrel before changing them and they were still shooting good but slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2500 rounds is better than we got out of our 6mm Creedmoor. Using a 42.0gr charge of H4350 under a 105 Berger hybrid we only got about 2000 rounds before accuracy degraded noticeably in our Bartlein barrel.

I shot Woodys match with my heavy irons rifle. It was my first match of this type, and I didn't want to spend money on a rig till I saw if it was for me. Put an optic on it, got my dope an did just fine. Had my partners Grendel not crapped out on him several times we would have had a much better finish. I think the Grendel is a very good choice for the DM match format and distances, just make sure you've got good mags.

I shot a friends JP bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmore yesterday. If I was going to get serious about precision matches, that would be the platform and caliber I would run.

I think at the last gap grind I was around 22-2300ish rds on my barrel, I was having no problem on long targets. However on the small 100yds dots it started throwin some shots, it was actually from carbon build up on my brake we found out after the fact. I went ahead and let George take it back with him for a new tube. Note to self......keep brake carbon chipped off.