Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ'd my first shooter

johniac7078

Never had to DQ a shooter before, but had my first recently. I asked the squad before we started if there were any new shooters, the one person to raise their hand was a woman that shot the match really safely and did a grey job as a newbie while battling through MANY malfunctions. The problem was two guys that showed up and were "very experienced", giving advice to all in ear shot. Too tacticool to tape too. On the first stage one of them begins to draw his gun while walking to the start position. He got the gun about 95% out of the holster before I stopped him. I watch the gun obsessively. We had a chat and I asked him if he was new. "No, I shoot IPSC all the time and you are allowed to do that-bullshit- I only shot a couple of IDPA matches". Yeah right. Anyway, the ASO and I decided to let him continue. with a stern warning. I should have DQ'd him right there. In fact I will never NOT DQ someone again and here is why. A few stages later he muzzled me during a reload. Right handed shooter engaging targets on the right side of a barricade, had to switch to the left side. I moved to his left side to be able to see what he was shooting on the left. When he did that he was at slide lock but so close to the barricade that he turned the gun up range basically AT MY FACE. I actually ducked. Luckily it was in slide lock and empty, I stopped him before he even got the mag off his belt. DQ. I was not a happy camper and calmly explained what he had done and that he would be going home. He too it ok. I asked him why he lied about begin a new shooter. No answer. I don't understand the ego piece. I resent it. I will NEVER cut anyone any slack ever again.

My guess would be ego. From what I have seen from teaching concealed carry classes is the ladies are very willing to admit they are new or really don't know what they are doing when I ask everyone about their shooting experience to kind of get a feel for the class. The men In the class will rarely admit to being new and usually brag about how great a marksman they are till the shooting proves otherwise. There are generally 3 things all men think they are great at. Shooting, driving and pleasuring a woman lol

on the reload you put yourself in a bad position

I would have moved to the other side

At some point an RO has to put himself in positions that are not ideal in order to see if a shooter is breaking a 180 or committing some other infraction. At bigger matches I have the clip board RO staged in a position where he can see those angles so I can focus more on the gun. In local matches I will put myself in positions where I can see the infractions. Especially on a stage that looks prone to produce 180's etc..

Not only should you not feel remorse for keeping other people safe but you should never, ever give a shooter as much slack as you did when he drew the gun. He should have been done instantly when that happened. New or not.

on the reload you put yourself in a bad position

I would have moved to the other side

At some point an RO has to put himself in positions that are not ideal in order to see if a shooter is breaking a 180 or committing some other infraction. At bigger matches I have the clip board RO staged in a position where he can see those angles so I can focus more on the gun. In local matches I will put myself in positions where I can see the infractions. Especially on a stage that looks prone to produce 180's etc..

Not only should you not feel remorse for keeping other people safe but you should never, ever give a shooter as much slack as you did when he drew the gun. He should have been done instantly when that happened. New or not.

so if the shooter sticks his gun through a port, are you going down range to watch the gun?

or are you going to give him some slack

I have not DQ'd anyone yet, though there might have been some times I should have. Good advice from Sarge on not feeling remorse about preventing someone from being shot!

Juan, you know that's not productive to the discussion so why instigate? Of course he's not going downrange, but situating yourself in the best position possible to see as much as you can see is just smart on the RO's part.

I have not DQ'd anyone yet, though there might have been some times I should have. Good advice from Sarge on not feeling remorse about preventing someone from being shot!

Juan, you know that's not productive to the discussion so why instigate? Of course he's not going downrange, but situating yourself in the best position possible to see as much as you can see is just smart on the RO's part.

wasnt trying to instigate

I was not at the match. so I dont know the situation.

just saying sometimes its not possible to keep a eye on a gun.