Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 10 Round Magazine Solution,,,

Chuck D

I live in a capacity restricted State...I'm stuck with 10 round only magazines or standard capacity magazines with magazine blocks permanently inserted in them.

I can't get the 10th round in over half of my G21 magazines...even after leaving them loaded with 9 rounds in them for over 2 months...no such luck.

Instead of cutting coils off of the magazine spring, would installing a + 2 magazine basepad like those offered from Lone Wolf give the magazine spring enough room to allow the 10th round in the magazine and render the magazine easier to speed reload ? They won't add to the magazines capacity according to the manufacturer but I'm hoping that a little breathing room for the spring might do the trick.

Thank you for the input !

When springs get loose you can sometimes stuff an extra round in there, some of my CZ mags are marked 18 but I can get a 19 in there now that I've been using them a bit. I'm willing to bet Glock made them tight like that to avoid any possible chance that you could get an 11th at the behest of the Glock legal department. Doesn't help you any but just an observation.

Edited by JesseM

Maybe using a 40 cal. magazine would be an alternative? I don't know if that would be legal in your state. It would require some modification to the magazine. Someone posted a very good how-to on the forums. I'll post the link, if I can find it.

Although we don't have a 10 round limit here in Florida, just for the heck of it I modified a 10 round 40 cal. magazine for my 9mm XD. I can fit 13 rounds in the mag after the modification.

...I've tried one. If I can manage to get in the 10th round it dents the case of the round below it and you can't insert it in the pistol with the slide in battery.

I would guess that you'd need to trim the follower legs and/or spring......

I no longer have 10 round .45 mags or I'd take a look for you. In my experience getting ten rounds in is easy in the 9mm 10 rounders, more challenging in the .40, and downright near-impossible on the .45 mags in stock configuration....

I can't speak for lone wolf but I can tell you that the Dawson EZ-off basepads do not add any extra room for the spring. They use the factory plastic insert (whatever that thing is called that goes between the basepad and spring) with the round bump to retain the aftermarket basepad.

I had the same issue as you with my G35 mags and swore they would never work but eventually got them loaded with 10 and can insert them on a closed slide.

I think I hit on a possible solution...

I disassembled the magazines, cleaned (again) all the mag bodies and polished the interior of each mag. I checked the overall length of each spring to make sure I didn't have springs that were either too long or too short. All the springs, like the mags are like new and everything seemed to be within spec.

I removed material from the rear "feet" of the follower and the rear most post where the spring attaches to the follower until the magazine would take the 10th round. Be careful not to remove too much material or the follower will "tip" inside the magazine. Unfortunately I destroyed one out of 6 followers but I had replacement parts thankfully.

Now they all hold 10 and are reloadable with the slide in battery. Some are still a little bit too tight for my liking but I have them loaded to capacity and locked up in the safe until the springs take a set and loosen up a little.

I hope this works....

I tried that same thing and didn't have any luck. Glad it worked out for you. The only solution I made work was to clip some of the spring off. It worked fine with the one magazine I used to test but I wasn't brave enough to cut all of my springs without having spares.

Use the mags. Don't just load them and store them. My G30 would not take 10 rounds until I started using the mags. Now 10 is no problem. They need exercise. lol

Listen to SilverBolt. Leaving the mags loaded isn't really going to do anything to the springs up. You need to load and unload that spring repeatedly, that will break them in.

I've started loading and unloading them at various times during the day and leaving them loaded to capacity overnight and while I'm at work.

They all now hold a full 10, I can load them w/o having to use a loading tool (some are still a bit sticky/tight) and I can hand cycle the full 10 rounds (using dummy ammo) through each magazine w/o a problem.

Sunday will be the 1st match using the mags to their full capacity...

I believe that in a couple on months they will all be good to go.

Thanks everyone for the tips ! :D