Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Webley Mark VI, why are there no modern reproductions?

mcb

I have always wanted a Webley Mark VI. Just something so cool about big break action revolvers. In the present market the remaining Mark VI's are either beat to death or are so expensive that I can't justify the price. Its really hard to find a reasonably priced shooter. I am sort of surprised that no one has made a modern reproduction. With modern tooling and alloys I would think we could make an awesome modern Webley Mark VI reproduction at a reasonable price. Designed from the ground up for 45 ACP/45 Auto Rim. Just surprised no one has done it yet.

While they're at it, I wish somebody would re-introduce the old Webley British Bulldog with modern metallurgy capable of safely handling .45 ACP.

Definitely! I could compete with my Mark VI and carry the bulldog!

You guys have seen the video of Bill Zeller shooting a USPSA match with a Webley top-break and .45 ACP moonclips, right?

I can't find it on Youtube, but maybe Bill will see this and post a link....

I think I found it. Is this the one Mike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuPGQGZJq4#t=0

That looks like fun!

The engineer in me keeps think about a moonclip server/holder that would allow you to load that gun without touching the moonclips. Just open the gun, scoop it pass the server loading the moonclip direct into the cylinder then shut the gun and blaze away. Probably wouldn't work but it might... and then it would be fast.

If we got modern production going there is no reason we could not make an 8-shot minor version too. The Mark VI will use standard 625 moonclip so there is probably enough room in the frame for an 8-shot 38-special cylinder (probably not long enough for 357 Mag).

Anyone know if prints for the Mark VI exist in the public domain? or even for purchase.

You guys have seen the video of Bill Zeller shooting a USPSA match with a Webley top-break and .45 ACP moonclips, right?

That looks like fun!

The engineer in me keeps think about a moonclip server/holder that would allow you to load that gun without touching the moonclips. Just open the gun, scoop it pass the server loading the moonclip direct into the cylinder then shut the gun and blaze away. Probably wouldn't work but it might... and then it would be fast.

If we got modern production going there is no reason we could not make an 8-shot minor version too. The Mark VI will use standard 625 moonclip so there is probably enough room in the frame for an 8-shot 38-special cylinder (probably not long enough for 357 Mag).

Anyone know if prints for the Mark VI exist in the public domain? or even for purchase.

How about 8 shot 9mm.

That looks like fun!

How about 8 shot 9mm.

But of course!

We would have the:

Mark VI (orginal)

Mark VI ACP

Mark VI Special

Mark VI Parabelum

Maybe even the:

Mark VI Super

Mark VI 10mm (for the mall-ninjas)

I think a modern top break revolver would be a great idea. Not sure I would want a reproduction of a Webley though. When I got my Mk IV it was really dirty so I took it completely apart to clean it. What I thought was crazy was that every single part was held in place by a screw. Even the little springs in the action were screwed down.

IMG_0521_zps1742420f.jpg