Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 155 grn AMAX in AR-10s?

bthp

So I picked up some Hornady .308, 155 grn AMAX Match loads (#8095PM, Brown box, not Superformance) to try in my Heavy Metal Rifle. I had been training with American Eagle 150 grn FMJ BT, so I was able to readjust my zero with only a few shots. However, after shooting a few I noticed the box read "not intended for use in semi-automatic rifles." Is this stuff okay to use in AR-10 type rifles?

If not, what factory match load do you use for the long range shots with your HM rifle?

I'm guessing here, but this type of comment has come up in my research on bolt action precision rifles this week. Some loads have pressure over time characteristics that don't give reliable function in a gas-operated semi-automatic. Or so I have read. Obviously this is third-hand stuff I'm giving you here.

I think it would be worth an attempt to reach Hornady customer service tomorrow and ask them for an elaboration. That's my best recommendation.

As to HM "match" ammo, I see lots of people talking about 168 and 175 grain hollow point boat tails. Federal, Black Hills, and Prvi Partizan come to mind. There are many others. But call Hornady, if you can. I bet you'll learn something in the process to make it even more worth the effort.

Good luck.

+1 on the pressure/time curve.This warning is probably for the M1A/Garand type rifles, and has something to do with the gas system/op rod being susceptible to damage from loads with a different pressure curve than mil-spec 7.62x51 ammo. AR-10/LR-308 rifles are much more tolerant of different powder/bullet weights, I shoot assorted factory 308 stuff without issue. I would say "blast away."

I can't say what the best factory match ammo would be, shooting a fair amount of 308 was one of the reasons I started reloading.... However, I would give the 175 gr Federal Gold Medal Match a shot though, it is the standard by which factory match ammo is compared.

you do not need to shoot such heavy bullets for 3 gun, 150-155gr is more the norm, with some going lighter 110-130gr. But most of us reload, I would say "give Hornady a call" is probably the best advice.

The 155gr amax bullet is an excellent choice, though.

Trapr

So I picked up some Hornady .308, 155 grn AMAX Match loads (#8095PM, Brown box, not Superformance) to try in my Heavy Metal Rifle. I had been training with American Eagle 150 grn FMJ BT, so I was able to readjust my zero with only a few shots. However, after shooting a few I noticed the box read "not intended for use in semi-automatic rifles." Is this stuff okay to use in AR-10 type rifles?

If not, what factory match load do you use for the long range shots with your HM rifle?

The published velocity for that load is 2850 fps.. The previous posters are correct that it does have higher pressure than Hornady's semi-auto specific load. Hornady produces a 155 OTM load with a published velocity of 2775 fps. and I have found that it does shoot softer. The semi load also features a bullet that has a cannelure and the primer is staked so it won't back out of the case. Your AR pattern 308 should have no problem with the factory AMAX load. Just watch for signs of excess pressure.

I currently shoot the 155 OTM load for all the HM matches, but my supply is running low and I will have to switch to something else. I would like to load the Sierra 135 gr, but finding some more H4895 has been difficult lately.

A factory 135 would be impossible to keep in stock if the big names would add it to their lineup. The MK 319 SOST round looks promising, but at $1.26 a shot it is a little cost prohibitive for me right now.

Kuan

Just to clarify, I only suggested the 175 FGMM stuff as it is relatively good gold standard for accuracy. I would certainly agree that it is not optimal for a HM-style run n'gun load.

If you are going to be reloading, many of the 125-155 gr selections would work well. This includes the 125 SST, 135 SMK, 155 Nosler, Sierra, or Amax. The Hornady 150 FMJ-BT can also provide accuracy that may be good enough for your game. In addition, I have experimented with lighter bullet loads in the 308, but I don't believe that I could actually feel a difference in recoil between a 125 and 150 gr loads.

The most accurate load that I have shot in my Armalite AR10 has been Freedom Munitions 155 AMAX load in new brass. They have not had any on their website for more than a year though. Their load averages 2790fps out of my 20" barrel. It has been very 100% reliable. I have looked around locally for some Hornady 155 Palma match to try, but have not found any on the shelf. Other than that, my rifle likes 168 AMAX (factory Hornady), doesn't do as well with Freedoms 168 AMAX load, really doesn't like Privi 168 or Federal GM168s.

Hurley

Factory ammo that has run the best in my rifle has been Federal Gold Medal Match.....but what I have left is in several large ammo cans with dessicant packs and no intention of opening.

I've started reloading and went with 150-155 projectiles like Trapr recommended above. Right now the load I'm playing with is 155gr Sierra Palma running right at 2800fps (+/- 10-15fps). Plan to accuracy test it further this week or weekend. I am within driving distance of Sierra's outlet store and get a nice discount going there, otherwise I would be using 150gr FMJ's or something cheaper. I picked up another 600 projectiles today and visually inspected them, and weighing them out at 155.4-155.7grains each. Yes, I'm anal about it.....I don't want an odd duck sneaking in and causing an issue I guess.

I've been shooting SMK 155's for a couple of years and have really enjoyed them. They've gotten harder to find for a decent price lately, so I've been trying lots of different bullets (mostly whatever I can find) and I save my Sierras for the big matches. I tried to switch to the SMK 135 with stellar results, but now they are hard to find too. A couple of weeks ago I started working up loads with Speer 125TNTs and Nosler 155 Custom Comps. They both shot excellent with sub MOA results. The 125's were fast and easily have major PF with min powder charge. The Noslers were almost a mirror performance for SMK. I shot them all head to head on Sun. 5 shot groups at 100yds in 15mph wind gusting to 25. The SMK group was .75" and both my Nosler and TNT groups were about .9". That's good enough and both those bullets are cost effective. If I could go to one bullet to rule them all in multigun it would be the SMK 135, but availability is forcing me to try other stuff.