Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gooldy's thread

Gooldylocks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well I am back and fire season is over. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things now with my dry fire and match routine.

Since I have been back I have gotten to shoot the ARPC and Dundee USPSA matches and the Steel match at ARPC.

How they went:

ARPC was a crash and burn. Missed mag changes, about 7 mikes, and a whole bunch of bad shooting. I chalk this one up as a fluke because I just hadn't shot in so long.

At Dundee I shot well, with no mikes and only a couple of deltas, but my gun kept having FTF issues. I think I ended up with about 7 light strikes that day. I need to get this figured out before the classifier match next week. 10th overall, 4th limited

Steel challenge: I got my first match win! I was shooting 22 open, and got my best run to date at a 2.10. I felt like I was shooting pretty well, but definitely need to clean up my transitions, and speed up my first shot! I overswung a few targets, and wasn't getting a clean stop and sight picture on several of the plates. All in all, a good day.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Albany was a bust. It was a classifier match, and I tried to dry fire a bunch and get ready. That worked to a degree, but some poor shooting mixed with bad luck ended up not working out very well for me. I can see in my videos that my fundamentals (what I was really dry firing hard coming into the match) looked pretty good, but I failed to execute. A couple of rushed sight pictures is all you need to ruin a classifier. A good example is Disaster Factor. I turned and drew to the left upper target, 2 good sight pictures there, only one sharp sight focus on the middle target and got one miss. Finish the top well, good reload, then rush the middle target AGAIN and throw another mike.

Shot Fluffy's Revenge 2, and felt good about it except that my holster locked up on me. I figured out how to fix it and won't have that issue in any further matches (I hope) but that cost me dearly on a couple of the stages. That one must have a super high hit factor though, cause my 9.3458 HF run is only good for 70% in the calculator....

Anyway, here are some videos. Didn't compile these ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Well another match has come and gone. Got 2nd Limited this weekend, shooting 96.125% of the winner (an A shooter, though really he is better than that). I felt mostly good about my shooting, though I did take too many makeups on some of the steel. And my reloads sucked. I don't think I had a single clean reload all day. I need to start working reloads while running forward in my dry fire. I didn't clean the star in 4 rounds, which cost me time. I need to work on getting out of a hard leaning position (leaning left for instance) and then RUNNING out of there the other direction. I always end up having to take a stutter step and catching myself before I can leave.

I shot 93.61% of the available points, and had zero penalties, which I think is the highest points I have ever shot. One of my stages scores was recorded wrong, when I was looking at the uspsa site it shows me shooting 78 points on a 100 point stage, with 19B 1C. So they got entered as B's instead of A's, which brings my points up to 95 on that one. That brings my points shot up to the 96.7%. The winner shot 89%, 87 after penalties. Where he got me though was with the time: I had a total time of 89 seconds to his 80 flat.

The classifier we shot was CM99-10, Times Two. I shot it with 55 points in 7.58, for a 76ish national percentage. That was one of the stages I won. The other stage I won was the only long course, which was 31 rounds. It was setup to make all the limited shooters do two reloads instead of just one, which was kind of annoying, but still fun. I shot 27A 4C in 24.35.

It was a super fun match, and hopefully I can get a Limited win soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I shot well this weekend, which I am pleased about. I let the stage with only one shot per target and all the no shoots get in my head though, which isn't ideal. First match win in Limited division, which is pretty exciting. The weather was.... temperamental, at best. I was shooting a borrowed 24 instead of my 35, I'm not sure if it made much of a difference, though the far away plate rack did seem easier than usual. But it could all be in my head.

• 1 month later...

Well it feels like it has been a long time since I have written in this. I finally got a shot timer and Steve Andersen's book, so I have actually started (well, more than it was) a more structured dry fire routine. Today at the range I shot 4 el presidente's, 2 with my buddy's open gun (my first time shooting it in quite a long time) and then 2 with my Limited gun. I shot an 8.23hf and a 9.92 with the open gun. I switched to my Limited gun and shot a 9.36. The first 6 rounds I called all my shots, and saw every round go where I wanted, but I was shooting slow (.3ish splits and transitions) so after the reload I sped up through the string. The next time I told myself to speed up, and shoot just as soon as the sights were acceptable. I got a 1.3 second draw, and was holding about a .22 or 23 split. Ended up 2 down in 5.43, for a HF of 10.68. classifier calc says that should be good for a 98.9%.

I am gonna try to keep updating this every day that I go to the range, and any time I see new things during dry fire.

A couple of reloads I did just for fun. It's fun to show off for the camera sometimes. I learned that a long time ago on my mountain bike.

I haven't been dry firing at all lately, school and work have both got me tied down. I can't decide if I want to shoot my limited gun or the open gun at this weekend's match. I am sitting at 73% and a little bit right now, so I am kinda tempted to shoot my limited gun and try to get another A classifier in the book.

::ETA:: Just ran the math, I only need one more classifier at 76.8% or above and I will get my A card. Pretty exciting.

Edited by Gooldylocks

Worst match I have shot in a long time. I just couldn't get my head in the game at all. Too much sitting around, not enough actually doing anything. Ended up with 2 Limited stage wins (1 overall win) and them a bunch of bad ones.

Dundee 1-24:

Well, I think I will be an A shooter after this weekend. I ran the math, and based on classifier calc I should be sitting at about 77% come the next cycle. Pretty exciting really, except that after that match I feel like I was shooting at about the C level.

Luckily, the Steel Challenge match on sunday went a little better for me, and I was able to get the win there shooting 22O. I really need to work on my plate rack shooting however, because the 5 second advantage I had going into that stage all went away. 15 seconds for my stage time on that one is really ugly.

• 2 months later...

Sure has been awhile since I have posted in this. Just thought I should make a note for future reference, I shot my first over 100% classifier today in practice. I went to the range to practice shooting alphas, and just focus on the shooting. I had targets at 15, 25, and 35 yards, so then when I brought them in to 10 yards for my last 12 rounds (for an El presidente) it felt like I could basically touch them they were so close. 4.96 seconds, 56 points for 11.29 hf.

Immediately after that, I put on my production belt and got my G17 (that I haven't shot in months) and shot a 5.5 second run, but dropped way too many points (44 total, had 2 Deltas on the right target). For the first El Prez I have shot with my 17 from my production belt, I'm fairly happy with a 78%.

It was a good day.

• 4 months later...

Well it was recommended to me by one of the local good shooters to start writing down everything that happens at a match and make note of the good and bad things to take home for later, and I was like hey I still have that old range diary someplace!

Well last weekend was the Columbia Cascade Sectional match, which I shot fairly well. Here is the match video from it:

So things I did well:

1: shaking off a bad stage. I absolutely had a meltdown on Stage 5, but was able to actually recover and shoot the rest of the match pretty well, which is usually the opposite of how things go at matches for me, so that is good.

2: I shot fairly fast, and was moving fairly fast into and out of positions.

3: I shot a pretty clean match (again, for me, I still had a lot of penalties but at least they were all contained to only a couple stages).

Things to work on:

1: Shooting more in control! There were a couple of stages that I really was getting ahead of the sights and it ended up biting me. Let the sights settle, then prrreeess the trigger.

2: Footwork. Need to nail all the places that I am supposed to stop and shoot. Missing some of those shooting positions cost me some valuable time.

3: near to far/difficult to easy target transitions. Shooting the popper behind the wall at the back of the bay on stage 8 and then quickly transitioning to hose the targets on the right can be difficult for me. I need to work on quickly dialing up or down the amount of focus I have depending on the target.

More to come.