Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gooldy's thread

Gooldylocks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after rewatching my match a few times I have realized some things I need to work on.

On one of my stages I wasn't moving as fast as I could have off the start. I was loading my weight properly on my front foot but still pushed off the back, which slowed me down a bit. Just should work on pushing off with the proper foot more.

Need to trust my close up shooting a bit more, on that same stage I went back to a target to make up a shot that I didn't need to, and it cost me about a second.

Had my gun lock back on me with rounds still in the magazine a few times, which was annoying but an easy fix (just switched the stock extended 35 slide release for a normal one). Reacted pretty fast to it every time though, but I should have just hit the slide stop instead of dropping the magazine.

Reloads were smooth but could have been faster (they can always be faster). Most were between 1.7 and 1.9 shot to shot. Fastest was like 1.2 (wasn't shot to shot because of the movement, just timing it on the video).

Need to get on the trigger faster on swingers. I have the speed but just fail to use it sometimes (stage one, ended up shooting at it twice instead of one and run)

Here is the match if anyone is interested.

Well I decided that I wanted a bit more purchase on my gun after it was sliding around during dry fire ( sweaty hands). A trip to the skate shop and 4 dollars later, boom grip tape. I got some to put on my mag baseplates as well, and I really like how it feels in my hand now!

I wasn't sure I would like it, but for 4 bucks I figured why not. Turns out I love it. Getting it shaped just right was kind of a pain but I was feeling crafty today so it was alright. Next is to colorfill my magazines!

Great job! It sounded like most steel you shot 1 for 1. Only thing you might want to try is not allowing the ports to suck you in. Look at 3:50 your pistol is through the window, at 3:55 you're a little back from the opening which gives you a wider field of view and at 4:01 the port has sucked you in again :). What powder are you using for your ammo? It seems very smokey.

And as far as the getting sucked in I noticed that as well. I was even thinking about it when I was planning my stages to try to avoid it and it still got me. Is there a way to dry fire that kind of stuff so I can work on it at home?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was really hit and miss. I had moments that felt really really good and moments that were really really bad. One stage had a plate rack at maybe 15 yards. I proceeded to empty an entire magazine at it and only ended up with 4 hits before I decided to screw it and move on. We also shot CM 03-10 "Area 5 Standards," which I nearly zeroed. My long range shooting is not up to par apparently. I have never tried shooting that far before with my pistol, I guess I should practice it from time to time. As well as the strong and weak hand only stuff at a bit of range.

The good: I felt like I destroyed the last stage. It was a total hoser, targets at 3-7 yards probably, 32 rounds. Shot it in 15.6 seconds, almost all alphas. like one D and a couple of C's, but all in all it felt like I nailed it.

Results are up. Things went.. better than expected!

The numbers: 9th out of 22 Limited shooters, 28 of 80 in the overall. I had a two stages where I got 9th (5th limited and 3rd limited) in the overall, which is pretty exciting to me.

The good: I felt very good about the "Hose-em" stage. My time was 3 seconds off the top time, and I had the same number of points. Everything felt like it went according to my stage plan, and it showed in my score. The "Triple Turtles" stage was similar. Interestingly though I didn't at the time feel like I had shot it amazingly well, but everything went exactly like it was set-up in my stage plan. I visualized it before I shot and it just happened. A good feeling. The other one that I thought I had totally smoked was the "Around the Corner 2" stage I ended up with a miss on. I was 6 and a half-ish seconds off the top time but everything went according to my plan. It felt perfect.

The bad: I zeroed the classifier, along with 39 other people (a 40 way tie for 39th..?). I am going to try to practice shooting some long range from time to time just to get more used to it, seeing as how the past two classifiers have both been pretty long range. I couldn't hit that stupid plate rack which ended up costing me huge in both limited and the overall. I spent like 22 seconds EXTRA shooting at it. If I had shot it clean and not used all the extra time it would have gained me 37 places and 43 ish stage points. Pretty dramatic. I need to figure out what was going wrong there and correct that. I had a miss on another stage, I skimmed the very top edge of the shoulder but just missed the D perf. That 1/16th of an inch or something cost me 10 places and 8-ish stage points.

The lessons:

1: Need to take the time on those close targets to make sure you get the rounds on the paper.

2: Practice shooting steel at range. I struggled to hit small poppers at distance as well as that plate rack.

3: Practice different/strange shooting situations. Like super long range and weak hand accurate shooting.

I will post video from this weekend when I get the chance.

So I was texting with my dad yesterday and I think I had a bit of a breakthrough. I was thinking about that burner stage at the last match. After "If Finished..." I was thinking about how fast that felt and how good it felt to be shooting fast. But then thinking about how I felt after shooting the "Triple Turtles" I realized that maybe instead of pursuing that "fast" feeling I strive for that "perfect execution" feeling. If I can perfectly execute my stage plan (assuming I have a good one) then the results seem to show it. And I will always be working to a higher "perfect execution" as I get better and see more of what I am doing wrong. What I considered "perfect" last saturday won't be in a year from now kind of thing.

Just an observation.

Here is the video of my last match. You can see all those mistakes I listed earlier. Feel free (more than free, I would seriously appreciate it) to leave any comments, criticism, critique you can think of, I like having a different set of eyes look at what I am doing and how to do it better!

Thanks guys!

I haven't gotten to dry fire in a couple days and I am starting to feel antsy. I am getting a trigger job done to my pistol, and it is weird not being able to just throw on my rig and do some dry fire practice. I did some with my SR9c and can't believe that I was as consistent at reloading with that thing as I was when I first started. It was terrible! Having to remove my pinky from the grip to see the magwell completely threw me off.

So I decided I was probably better off just not practicing.

I got my gun back today with its new trigger and I must say I am pleased. It isn't as light as I had anticipated, but it is way smoother and it is still lighter than it was.

Time to do some dry fire in preparation for this weekend. I have been watching my videos from the past couple matches and trying to glean out some new information, but I think it mostly boils down to I need to shoot more!

Well I shot the match yesterday and I must say I am happy with how it turned out!

Things to work on:

1: some slow draws in there (stages 4 and 5)

2: movement was super awkward in a several places

3: shooting too fast and having misses because of it (eg: first stage on steel, had a miss on the classifier on the middle left target)

4: still hunching!

5: poor stage planning

I didn't fully have my head in the game, because I was acting kind of like a coach for my dad (who was shooting his first match ever!) and girlfriend (second match ever). But everyone had fun and I ended up shooting pretty well given some lame mistakes (like running past the two poppers on stage 4.... :surprise:)

Always looking for critique, let me know if you see anything!

• 2 weeks later...

What a weekend. Two matches, one USPSA and one Steel Challenge (my first one ever, it was so fun).

The USPSA was a classifier match, 5 classifers and 2 field stages. It was a total crap shoot. On the first stage (Disaster Factor CM13-01) I shot the obscured targets first, forcing me to slow down and really aim, then the lower targets thinking that would allow me to speed up through the bottom string. I don't have any idea why, but the middle head target had..... two mikes. Don't know where they went, I thought I had a good sight picture but apparently not.

Second stage, Roscoe Rattle (CM13-04), shot it smooth and decently fast, but threw another Mike! What the hell?! Okay moving on, I got this.... Third stage is Short Sprint Standards (CM13-03). Two more mikes. This is killing me. I can't figure out why I am struggling today, I feel like I have a good grip and good sight pictures for every shot, but it just isn't working for me.

Stage 4, field stage with lots of things to remember. There was a plate rack at about 18-20 yards, that took a whole magazine to hit, cause apparently my gun shoots super high at that range (I was holding 4-5" BELOW the rack to get hits) I get done, and I have 7 mikes on the stage. Ugh I don't even care anymore about this one, it was that bad.

Stage 5, Double Deal 2, CM13-07. I watched people shoot and almost everyone was standing up before they shot, which seems like a huge time waster to me. So my plan was stay seated, drop the cards, pick up the gun and shoot left to right. And.... it went exactly how I wanted. Huge breath of fresh air, finally shooting decently well. 6 alpha, 2 bravo in 5.38 HF of 7.06, which is a 65.7%. Not too bad, and finally what I feel like is closer to my skill level.

Stage 6, field stage. Tons of steel that is pretty close, and some close hoser targets, one swinger to finish it off. Okay this seems like the perfect stage for me. I get up to the line, hands on X's... BEEP run over to first position. 6 big poppers, first one activates the swinger. Plan is to shoot them from left to right and hit the super close up hoser as I back out of the position. First round goes off.. and my magazine falls out. Put a new one in, and I realize that piece of brass is stovepiped in my gun, so I have to clear that also before I can start shooting. Okay back on track, six shots six hits on steel, burn the close one, turn and start running, hose the other two close targets and reload. Its going good now. Hit the paper, the five steel over there, and turn to run to the other side of the fence. I slip in the gravel and almost eat it, catch myself and shoot the other five steel, turn, hit the two mini poppers and the swinger. My time was something like 32 seconds, but when I watched the video back I spent about 11 seconds clearing that first malfunction and lost probably a second and a half catching myself from falling down. I managed to turn a stage that looked like it was designed perfectly for me into a horrible mess.

Stage 7, More Disaster Factor CM13-08. Same plan as the first stage, heads reload then bodies. It goes right this time, 6 alpha, 4 bravo, two charlie. 54 points in 7.8, HF 6.9231, 67.6%.

I decided to reshoot the first stage since I knew I could do better, but instead of shooting it like I knew I could I managed to have a miss and a no shoot. So that was basically a throw away yet again. Ugh.

Sunday was speed steel. I shot my dad's old MkII that is older than I am, and shot pretty well. Not to mention that it is SO FUN. I didn't realize that shooting steel challenge would be so entertaining, and it is so much more low key and just like some guys hanging out at the range compared to USPSA that is kinda stressful since you only get one chance. My average time per string worked out to something like 3.06 seconds, which isn't terrible I would say. Especially since I got a miss called that I am fairly sure I did hit, but since it was my second miss on that stage it still counted in my overall time. Without that miss I would have been sub-3 per string. It's so fun. And my girlfriend had a ton of fun too. She likes it way more than USPSA because it is much more just hanging out and shooting compared to how stressful USPSA is.

A great weekend that was full of trigger time.

Here is the match footage. Results are up, I think I am going to end up getting classified as a B when the next cycle gets run. I probably would have gotten my first stage win had I not had my magazine fall out on Stage 6, it cost me about 10 seconds while I cleared the gun and reloaded.

The first field stage, Stage 4, was terrible. I ended up shooting 107 points in 57.55 seconds, with 80 points of penalties. I came about as close to the bottom as you can go without zeroing the stage.

Anywho, here it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to dry fire or live fire or anything for a couple of weeks now because of a bike accident that hurt my shoulder pretty bad. I am starting to feel pretty good again and think I will be able to start shooting pretty soon. I checked the results from the Steel Challenge match and I got 4th, after a few guys that were all shooting rimfire rifle. Not too shabby.

Well, I checked my USPSA profile today and there it is, a B next to limited!! I am very excited cause that is what I was hoping for. Here are all the classifiers I have shot so far.

4/26/14 13-03 DUNDEE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 54.7526 5/06/14 4/26/14 13-01 DUNDEE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS F 37.0370 5/06/14 4/26/14 13-04 DUNDEE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 69.4554 5/06/14 4/26/14 13-07 DUNDEE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 65.3316 5/06/14 4/26/14 13-08 DUNDEE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 67.6236 5/06/14 4/12/14 03-04 ALBANY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB F 47.7239 4/22/14 2/08/14 09-09 ALBANY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB E 71.1111 3/11/14

My shoulder is starting to get back to the point of being able to dry fire again and I am going to be doing a lot of it! I would like to get to the point of turning in classifiers in the 70's consistently.

• 1 month later...

After last weekend's match I am predicting you will make "M" by the end of next year at the latest. You are shooting extremely well. If you like shooting steel Tri-County does a monthly steel match the first Sunday of each month. Typically 6 stages.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the support! I will try to make it up there for a match sometime. I have still only who that one steel match but I loved it. They are so fun.

Thanks again for the support!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell that work is going to be hurting my ability to shoot. Not being able to dry fire every day makes a pretty big difference. I could tell that my reloads and draws were rusty. I made stupid mistakes and wasn't using the sights. Two no shoots and two misses, I just couldn't pull a clean run together. We got to the classifier and I was excited cause it looked like it was gonna be an easy one to do well on, but instead I just dropped the ball completely.. a not so good draw and then a few extra shots, then a bad reload (mag got stuck in the magwell kinda crooked, it wasn't a good thing at all) and some more terrible shooting on the other side.

Went back to the range today to shoot my friend's Mosin with his new Archangel stock, and did a few drills with the plate rack while we were there. My reloads continued to suck even today. I was doing 2 reload 2 on the plates, and then doing draw one reload one from one rack to the next (one is at 7 and the other is at ~15 yds). I was shooting getting good hits at least.

Here is the match from yesterday.

Edited by Gooldylocks