Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use a brass bead front sight?

JesseM

I've been using Warren Tactical sights on the Glock 17 I use for competition for a good 3 years now. I put a set of 10-8 sights with the tritium front on my Glock 19 HD/carry gun and I like them a lot so far. I've been thinking about swapping my competition gun to 10-8 sights and I was going to order their fiber front sight when I noticed they have an option for a brass bead. I googled and found someone that has a set installed on a PPQ and int he pics it looks snazzy but I'm wondering if anyone out there uses a setup for competition? I don't expect it will be as bright as the fiber but It seems like it might be a good compromise between fiber and tritum; ie brighter than tritum in daylight but brighter than fiber indoors.

I've been runing the 10-8 brass bead front with the U notch rear for about two years now.

I dig the pseudo ghost ring you can run at 10 yards and in on open targets.

I think it's a great carry option, but if your eyes are aging and need help it won't be as good as fiber.

What I really like is that it's an unchanging sight. I used to run fibers and they would break/discolor.

Go sights like the Dawson give you a precise outline for traditional notch and post shooting for accuracy. The FO gives you an inset, easy to pick up point of reference for fast shooting. I think a brass bead might be okay for the fast stuff but not a good for accuracy shooting.

Shot one on a revo when I was a kid. One of my first trips into competition. I find it great on my bedside .44 too. I do not see them as a net negative at all if your eyes like them. Never just assume what your eyes will like on the advice of others. I have found that my eyes like and can shoot a few different styles of sights. You will find one you like best, and it may not be what others run. Where sights are concerned, shoot what your eyes like.

Go sights like the Dawson give you a precise outline for traditional notch and post shooting for accuracy. The FO gives you an inset, easy to pick up point of reference for fast shooting. I think a brass bead might be okay for the fast stuff but not a good for accuracy shooting.

I don't see how a brass bead could be any worse than a FO for accuracy shooting.

Simply disregard the insert and start doing equal height equal light.