Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL VARIANCE=full shell plate/single

HI,

Interested to know of how much is your OAL VARIANCE with a full shell plate versus single brass on the press. Its for my 550 and 223 rem.

With a single brass, from my 2.242 OAL will get increase to 2.250 with all 4 stations loaded, its almost .008 OAL difference.

thanks

The variance will also be different depending on the tightness (or lack thereof) of your shellplate. Have a thrust bearing with properly adjusted tension can minimize that variance.

Edited by RDA

The roller bearing definitely minimizes this along with using single headstamp vs mixed brass and minimizing the operations being done, i.e. with 223, one pass decaps/sizes, swages and trims, the next pass primes, drops powder, seats bullet and crimps.

An OAL measurement is only valid with a full Shellplate.

Thats what Im doing right now, but dont you think .008 is a little bit high. anyways, will filling or single brass shellplates will also affect the resizing dimemsions?

Using 2 toolheads die setup of my 550.

thanks

• 1 month later...

ffgats, do you know where your seating stem contacts the bullet you're using? It's probably not at the bullet tip. Then you would need to consider the bullet to bullet variance from the contact point to the tip.