Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell paint dot Legality In Production.

Kyle7735

I have just started shooting production with my Glock 34. After watching a youtube video of Frank Proctor he stated that he places a dab of fingernail polish on the right hand side of the magwell (As a right handed shooter) which gives his eyes something to focus onto while reloading. Similar to the way a fiber optic front sight works. I cannot find anything in the rulebook mentioning a painted dot being illegal for production.

I appreciate any thoughts and or opinions on this.

However, if the "cosmetic finish" happened to be worn thru somewhere this would certainly be legal.

Careful there -- Amidon has ruled in the past that a magwell that was incredibly beatup from reloading practice on a Glock rendered the frame illegal for production due to wear, IIRC......

Not legal in Production.

Appendix D4 21.2a

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125129

There was also a NROI ruling on this. I'm not sure why they took it off of the web site, but it is still available if you know where to look for it.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=47

Well that kinda sucks...i guess its going to have to come off.

However, if the "cosmetic finish" happened to be worn thru somewhere this would certainly be legal.

Or you could practice reloads and not worry about shooting open minor with a production gun.

Well i mean i have been making myself hit 50 perfect reloads every night before i let myself go to sleep. I guess i could bump it up to 75?

Careful there -- Amidon has ruled in the past that a magwell that was incredibly beatup from reloading practice on a Glock rendered the frame illegal for production due to wear, IIRC......

How did that go? he wore it so much it turned into a Dawson Ice magwell? I dont fully understand how it wore so hard it did could make it illegal.

The competitor wore the magwell down to the point that it looked as if he'd taken tools to it. I'm confident he didn't -- but from a visual examination, it appeared similar to grinding material away....

On mine the magwell is already chamfered as it comes out of the mold. the only place it could really be worn down is the trigger housing channel. Any thinner around the sides or front and it would have no structural stability. Literally paper thin. Maybe old glocks are less cut away inside the mag well from the factory.

Correct -- but if you throw 1-200 reloads at that frame, 5 days a week, over the course of a couple of years, there'll be some wear.....

Im already getting some and ive only had the gun for 5 weeks. I wish there was a picture of that gun.

• 2 weeks later...

That's literally one of the top 3 silliest things I've heard in this sport.

That's literally one of the top 3 silliest things I've heard in this sport.
Top 3? Heck, Amidon has a bunch of 'em.

That is what several years of reload practice did to my gun. Luckily I it never pushed me into open.

That is what several years of reload practice did to my gun. Luckily I it never pushed me into open.

Thats even more beat up then my m&p. I wore the inside down far enough that the back side of the inside of the magwell got thin enough that it cracked into the takedown tool channel for the backstraps. Then I switched to CZ

My son got questioned at a major match by the guy doing the gun inspections about his Glock was tore up around the magwell from practicing reloads so much.. Another shooter from out of state also stepped in whipped out his pocket knife and cleaned up the magwell.. Case closed..lol

My son got questioned at a major match by the guy doing the gun inspections about his Glock was tore up around the magwell from practicing reloads so much.. Another shooter from out of state also stepped in whipped out his pocket knife and cleaned up the magwell.. Case closed..lol

HUH...take off more material...now it is legal ?

Tom